1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ekih, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

Some questions about setting up my BIOS.
    My MBO is a P4P800 BIOS AMI 12000312 Ver: 08.00.09

I have a selection for 32bit transfer rate, this is disabled. What is this and should it be enabled?

I have a selection for Throttle slow clock ratio set at 50%. What is this and should I change the setting?

With setting up the HDs there is setting for PIO and DMA they are both set for auto, should I turn off the PIO mode or will it atomically select the right DMA setting?

thanks for any help
    J

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

32bit transfer should be set on otherwise it will use 16bit transfer which is obviously a hell of a lot slower - and ancient technology.
    Throttle slow clock is the power saving mode of the CPU and is only useful when running a laptop on batteries - basically run at half speed when not doing heavy work.
    Leave the PIO mode and DMA as AUTO

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice