1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS setup. Need help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by voice, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. voice

voice Thread Starter

A week ago Kilowatt helped me discover why I was getting a warning sign upon start-up; Battery on Motherboard is dying he said. He kindly said that if I wanted help he or someone would help me through the Bios Setup. As I can't find the manual for the computer I would appreciate if somebody could walk me through the Bios setup.

I haven't replaced the battery yet as I want to know how to do the Bios set up first. I probably won't do that until the weekend or next week.

I have Window's 98 SE. My computer is IBM Personal Computer 300. On the tower it says Intel Inside Celeron.

If you want any more information I will be back later today or tomorrow.

Thank you.

Voice

2. BarefootJ

BarefootJ

Well, have you ever changed any BIOS settings? Most people only need to use the default settings and require no setup. The only thing you might have to setup is the date/time after you replace the battery.

If you have changed your BIOS for some reason, then simply write down the settings you want to remember, and reconfigure them after you replace the battery.

3. voice

voice Thread Starter

Barefoot,

Thank you very much for your reply.

To your question: No, I have never changed any settings; including BIOS settings. Are you telling me that all I have to do is just change the battery and switch the computer back on? You mention the default settings. What does that actually mean? That it will automatically set itself when I switch on the computer? Or do I have to accept something as it goes through its start up procedure?

The date and time set up should be straight forward as I do that at the moment. Every time I switch on my computer the warning sign comes on "Warning your computer case has been opening." I then have to press F1 to continue. Then the next step my computer tells me that I have to set the date - because it thinks it has gone into winter mode/ winter settings. I then set the right date and time and it goes on its merry way - through the set up motions - so that I can use my computer.

Just a matter of interest; if I didn't replace my battery and kept going through the motion of pressing F1 and resetting the clock and date would this do any long term damage? Other than being a pain in the backside? I am just curious on this point. Again thank you for helping.

Voice.

4. bandit429

bandit429

Change your battery and switch your computer back on,,,grab the case before you change the battery to discharge any static electricity your body may have stored. After you install the battery just start your computer and when windows loads you may set the time and date by clicking your clock in the lower right corner. After you do that everything will work normally.

To awnser your question about long term damage...I think the engineers would say no damage would occur...personally I have found the more you mess with something the worse it gets....just an opinion, not the rule.

5. bigbear

bigbear

After removing and replacing the battery it is always better to reset the time and date in bios as you might find windows will not boot if this is not set first.
    To enter the bios watch the screen on startup and look for instruction " to enter setup press delete" or it might be F2 or some other key depending on the bios manufacturer.

6. voice

voice Thread Starter

Bandit429 & Bigbear,

I have just printed off both your replies. Hopefully I shall be doing this the weekend (changing the battery). Thank you for your kind response to my queries. I wish you all the best.

Voice.

7. bandit429

bandit429

Back atcha :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice