1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS speaker does not beep during post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pulley87, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pulley87

Pulley87 Thread Starter

I have bought a bios speaker that plug's into the pin's on my motherboard but it does not give any beep's once I have powered on my desktop.

Is there a soultion for this?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does your system work ok OR is the motherboard not completing POST?
    Next it would REALLY help if you posted your exact specs along with what exact speaker you installed.

4. Pulley87

Pulley87 Thread Starter

Yes my system work's okay, I'm able to boot up properly.

Okay what hardware specs's do you need? The motherboard I have is this here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/970-GAMING.html#hero-specification

I got my bios speaker from Ebay, I checked the feedback on the item so it should work properly because at the end of the day it is just copper wire going to a speaker.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would tend to think the speaker you purchased is doa. Test it on another system however ebay is about the LAST place to purchase computer hardware. If you cannot purchase the item from a reputable reseller like newegg, then and only then you buy it from ebay.

You are correct in that it just plugs in; there is a + and - so be sure you do install it in the correct direction.

6. Pulley87

Pulley87 Thread Starter

I understand what you mean about buying from a reputable source; but a bios speaker is a simple bit of kit and I do not see the need to spend lot's of money on it. I have ordered 3 bios speaker's from Ebay and the feedback is positive. I have made sure that the + and - are connected properly.

The main reason I have not gone to a reputable source is because the same outcome might happen so instead of spending £2 I will spend £10 and have the same result, this is not a rant btw I just need a solution!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only way you are going to find a solution is to test. You have not answered; have you tested the speaker in another system?

8. Pulley87

Pulley87 Thread Starter

No I have not as I do not have access to my desktop yet. I am away from home. The friend I live with said he has the same problem as well (we have different motherboard's) . I am looking for all possible solutions so when I get back home I can do it from 1 to 10.

Thank You!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  9. Oddba11

Oddba11

There isn't much to know/do here. The motherboard output is faulty or the speaker is faulty.

I can't recall ever seeing an option in the BIOS to disable the speaker output. And the +/- shouldn't matter for a speaker.

Nothing wrong with going the cheap route for misc hardware such as this, but I would typically get an extra one or two for items this cheap.

Pulley87 likes this.
  10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

You can try removing the ram, it should beep then so if it doesn't the speaker is probably no good.

Pulley87 likes this.
  11. Pulley87

Pulley87 Thread Starter

Okay thank's I'll try that and give an update

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185102