Solved BIOS stopped recognising hard drive on new laptop

frayedknot

Just returned from Mac dark side and managed to almost brick my brand new PC laptop in a tremendous #FAIL. :-(
It all went wrong when I was installing Windows 10 from ISO file on USB stick. Windows complained disk was MBR partitioned and not GPT so would not work. I followed an online post and deleted the Partition in the list and then tried to reformat from the command prompt. All seemed successful and reformatted as NTFS etc. But now BIOS does not recognise the SSD as a Boot drive and Windows installer crashes at 0%. Anyone have any hints or should I head to the local repair shop?

It's a Gigabyte Aorus 7, (insyde H2 BIOS vFB03) Core i7, 16GB with 512GB SSD. System info utility obv does not work in this case.

crjdriver

Secure erase the ssd. Now clean install windows. Do not attempt to partition or format the drive prior to installing windows; let setup do the partition/format as it sees fit.

Note secure erase is NOT a format. It is a command issued to the drive's controller.

frayedknot

Secure erase the ssd. Now clean install windows. Do not attempt to partition or format the drive prior to installing windows; let setup do the partition/format as it sees fit.

Note secure erase is NOT a format. It is a command issued to the drive's controller.
Thanks! I'll give that a try shortly and let you know.

frayedknot

it's an adventure so far. Trying to use Parted Magic to secure erase and this caused a kernel panic...

crjdriver

Many drive mfg have a toolbox or monitoring software. This will often include a secure erase utility.

frayedknot

Thanks - so in the end i properly set up the bootable USB stick with Parted Magic. Doing that from a Mac made it more difficult, but I'm getting better at following instructions.

Only problem is that it doesn't allow me to Secure Erase and doesn't list the device under Storage in System Information. It does however appear under File Manager as a 'Basic data partition'.

Message when I attempt secure erase is "This routine can only run for disks supporting the Security Mode feature set". It says caused might be SATA set to RAID (no - it's set to AHCI) or disk being encrypted (not as far as I'm aware. Should i do Block Wiping?

Boot the bootable USB stick.
Delete all existing partitions. The whole drive should be unallocated when done.
Select install Windows 10. Windows 10 will repartition and format the drive for you.

frayedknot

fair enough question @crjdriver :) In the end however it was the worst of all user errors, my Windows 10 boot USB stick was not up to snuff.

Took it to a place round the corner and theirs worked without any faffing around. Mine was failing after getting to 0% each time. So i paid them to make a new one for me. Now all working fine. Thanks for all the help on this. Also @MisterEd51. Solution was correct, just deleted the old partitions and let windows do the work. Just maybe I shouldn't have tried to make boot stick from Mac. Has been a good learning process!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online