BIOS ugrade?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zookre

I am thinking of upgrading to win XP and ran a upgrade test to see if my computer would handle it and the results were my machine was fine except the Bios would need upgraded, my current Bios date is 1995. I talked to a rep at eSupport and he said that an upgrade would really make a big difference in my computers operation all around, my question is would the performance increase be enough to warrant spending $70.00 on if I don't upgrade to xp. the rep said it would but he is trying to sell it to me. I would like and expert opinion on this, can anyone help?

Can you post the make and model of the pc, or better yet which BIOS version you have ?

Might just be able to flash it, but be warned a bad flash could render the motherboard a paper weight...

zookre

Bios date: 07/15/95
Bios type: American Megatrends
Bios ID: 62-0331-009999-00101111-071595-000000-M741LMRT
Chipset: SiS 620 rev 2

I talked to a rep at eSupport and he said that an upgrade would really make a big difference in my computers operation all around,
Well...

I'm not real sure I agree with the tech's statement, I've seen it help, and I've seen it not...

I guess...it all depends on how bad you want XP...

If you want to chance it, and if this is your board, you can get the bios flash here ( remember a bad flash can turn it into a paper weight )...

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M741LMRT.html

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Zookre:

The BIOS software in that computer is really old and should be updated before upgrading to Windows XP. Is it a factory-built brand name model or is it one that was custom built from a "mom and pop" store? A brand name model should have a site with software and hardware updates.

Have you been keeping up with the hardware updates, software updates, and Windows updates?

zookre

I really would like to upgrade my machine but I can't afford to turn it into a paper weight. the manufactur is unknown, no names on the case but the belarc advisor says its a pcchips so since I dont know diddley about Bios's I guess I better leave it alone. thanks for the replys guys.

Well PcChips is the manufacture of the motherboard ( where you get the BIOS updates from )...

Most BIOS flashes go smooth ( I just have to warn you of the hazzards involved )...

If you want to spend the $70.00 on an allready flashed/up to date chip, then you can have XP...

My point is...that if you flash the BIOS from the link I provided, and it works, then you don't spend the $70.00...

If you do, and it goes bad, then it is a paper weight, untill you spend the $70.00 to get a new chip, and replace it...

zookre

the $70.00 cost is for a floppy disk with the upgrade on it not a new chip so I guess that would be the same as flashing it from the pcchips site only a whole lot more expensive and maybe a questionable upgrade if its just a flash upgrade, so thanks again for your expert opinion. like I said I can't afford to by a new puter so I guess I'll leave the sleeping dog lay.

If the BIOS are from 95 I would really wonder how well XP would run on that system. There isn't much sense in upgrading to XP if it runs like a 3 legged dog on an older system without much horsepower.

There are lots of simple maintance tasks you can do to get a little more out of an older Win 9x system.

Latest and greatest may be nice, but is it always necessary?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online