Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIOS update error

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TechMaster7000 
#1 ·
Hi, I updated my BIOS today and I am 100% sure it is the right one because it was for the motherboard that I have. Nothing major but I am having a few problems:

The screen resolution seems to set itself to 800x600 when it should be 1024x768. It does this every so often when I turn on my computer.

I can't save any BIOS setting e.g. I noticed it was trying to find a floppy drive so I went in to the BIOS and disabled the floppy settings then saved and exited. It still tried to find it and it was the same as before in the settings.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Resolution is controlled by the OS and drivers, not the BIOS. All video before the OS loads is just VGA (ie: 640x480). As the OS loads, the resolution changes to whatever was last saved by the OS. If it's changing, I'd suspect a video driver issue, or the video card or monitor are not being properly recognized during boot. Could be a loose connection or failing hardware.

#5 ·
There may be more than one place in the BIOS where a floppy drive needs to be disabled, too. There may be both a floppy controller and a setting to search for floppies on boot. Certainly it also needs to be removed from the boot order (or moved to last position if not removable).

Do date/time stay set?

#7 ·
Elvandil, I tried that but it still brought up the same error and the settings were reset to default. There is an interesting message that says that the BIOS settings have been reset to default due to a checksum error. Could you make any sense of that?

Also, the BIOS i downloaded did not say it was compatible with windows 7, only XP, maybe thats part of the problem?

Thanks.

#8 ·
According to your specs, you have a Packard Bell computer. That means the only place you can get a BIOS update from is Packard Bell. If you downloaded a BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturer, it probably wasn't the right one. OEMs use customized boards. You're lucky it even boots. But that might explain the flakiness.

#10 ·
If you can't identify your computer model now, is it safe to assume you did actually download a BIOS update from another location? If so, re-flashing may or may not work, but you definitely need to find the right model info. I'm not sure what will provide that detail now since the BIOS has been incorrectly flashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.