1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios update from floppy problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orchidman, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orchidman

Orchidman Thread Starter

Hello, I would appreciate your time if you can help.
    I am trying to update the bios on my Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P board, using Q Flash and a floppy DD.
    I have downloaded the two different versions of the Bios [F6 and F7], now from both Asia and Us download points.
    I have F5 on another floppy disk, and used it previously [to recognise latest cpu]
    I can see the files on the disk, in Win7, and can open and extract the files from the Asia download, but not the US download.
    However, apart from that, when I try to update the bios, the bios cannot find any files for F6 or F7 [They are loaded on separate disks].....
    But it can find the files when I try the older [about 6 months] F5 disk, and have successfully updated the bios to F5
    So the question is, why can't the bios Q Flash facility see the F6 and F7 files? Is it faulty floppy disks, if so why can Win7 see it. Is it a faulty floppy disk player? It is only 6 months old but in any case Q Flash sees the disk player. Is it faulty files?
    Any ideas? Your time and thoughts would be appreciated

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, why are you updating the bios? Does the update have a fix you need?

Next qflash works with a usb drive as well as a floppy. I highly recommend you using the usb rather than a floppy.
    The usb must be formatted as a FAT or FAT32 not ntfs. Qflash will even read a FAT hard drive as well.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I downloaded the F7 update and it extracted with no problem.

4. Orchidman

Orchidman Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver . thanks for replying.
    I am updatingthe bios, because the CMOS battery died a short time ago and when I replaced it and it reloaded the bios, it loaded version F4, which allows the 965 cpu I have to only run at 1/2 speed.
    In addition, I have just installed the Vertex 2 SSD and I'm not convinced the F5 bios accommodates it properly.
    I didn't realise the Q Flash worked off USB, The how to use QFlash on the Gigabyte Website, only refers to Floppy disks. However, having just read my Manual, [after reading your reply, I see that it let you use not only USB, but your HDD as well]!
    Will research some more into SSD question, before advancing bios anymore. and will use USB.
    Many thanks again for taking the time to reply
    And BTW Happy New Year to you and other Forum users. O.

5. bp936

bp936

and Welcome to TSG, Orchidman

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Replacing the cmos battery does not change the bios version. If you had F6 before you pulled the battery, you have F6 now. What does happen is that the bios loads defaults so you would need to enter the bios and set any custom settings you need ie boot order, sata mode, ram voltage, etc.

I have a vertex2 drive and I could not be happier with it. There have been a number of firmware updates for the vertex2 drive. You can check what version you have with the ocz toolbox. If you do decide to update the firmware, make sure you read through the instructions on the ocz forum. The ocz updating software is problematic at best. After you figure it out, it is not a big deal to update however the first time I did it, it took me approx 1 1/2hr to get it done.

7. Orchidman

Orchidman Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver and bp936,
    The computer had been playing-up in various ways...I don't really remember all of it, other than it reinstalling the bios of its own accord on two separate occaisions, and being troublesome in booting on occaisions.
    Anyway, after several other [unsuccessful] entries on other forums, and a lot more thinking and research on my part, I narrowed it down to either the CMOS battery or the mobo. I replaced the battery and everything returned to normal.
    At some point throughout all this, the bios version went back to F4 which was the bios on the board when I bought it..... [A short time after buying it, I realised, it was not working as fast as it should and discovered the cpu was only working at 1.61mhz, instead of 3.3.] Looking into that, lead to downloading and installing F5, from the floppy drive I previously mentioned.
    Subsequently, and over the last week, I installed twin 5770 vga s and the Vertex 2 and reinstalled the OS, following which, the system again showed the CPU at 1.61, and on checking the Bios start screen found the bios back at F4.
    So, I don't know how that happened for sure, I just assumed it was to do with the CMOS battery....but something did cause the bios to revert to F4 .
    The upshot is, I now have F5 loaded, the Vertex 2, Twin ATI 5770 in Crossfire and it is running quick, smooth and seamless.
    I'm afraid I can't be more help in solving the change back to F4, and really I don't have sufficient technical experience to descibe in proper detail or in fact to even understand a lot of the language, but I really do appreciate your time and interest. If you have more thoughts or questions for me I will be only too eager to reply. Many thanks O

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board has the dual bios. This means that if there is a problem with the main bios, the backup bios will recover. I have never heard of a gigabyte board recovering to an earlier version once there has been a successful update however I guess it is possible.

I would look at a failing board or problems with the bios chip on this board. Another item to look at would be your pw supply. If you have a low quality pw supply, it can cause all kinds of problems.

9. Orchidman

Orchidman Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver, I have to say, that all along, I've felt something was not right about this board....you know, the sum of all manner of 'little' things not quite right, but individually not really serious...perhaps it is just my nature.
    The power supply, which was one of the first things I suspected is a 850w TT Q fan, which I have had tested [simply] and got all green lights...but if I go back and think through my original post, all of which I described accurately, it does lend support to the theory that the board is not all well.
    I'll see how it all holds up....since original, I have replaced RAM, HDD, VGA, DVD, only the PSU and CPU to go!!!!
    Hope the new year has started well for you. And thanks for your time. O.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice