1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios update gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben1220, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

Well I've seriously stuffed up, I'll give you the long story so you get all the information

Well after I installed my 8800GT, I began having stuttering problems with a game, ut2004. Others had the problem and most say its a driver issue and will be fixed in the future, someone wrote to nvidia support and they suggested updating bios, chipset and getting a patch for the game, so I updated the chipset, 945p, easy then I went to update the bios, after downloading bios 3.7, a command prompt came up with lots of settings and commands and warnings, so I decided I'd play it safe and just do the msi live update. So I installed the msi update and its first update was to update my bios, as it finished it restarted my computer, everything seemed fine until my computer wouldn't go past the original POST page, the one with the motherboard logo on it. No beeps sounded and pressing tab or del opened a black page that says

AMIBIOS (C) 2005 American Megatrends, Inc
    MSI 945PL Neo A7236IMS V1.9 Date: 08/07/06 08:05:52
    Intel (R) Core(TM) 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz , Speed:

(C) American Megatrends, Inc.
    63-0100-009999-00101111-080706-Lakeport-1AAA000-Y2kC

The page also has a live update symbol on the top right corner.

I have a hunch that the live update fed me the wrong bios, and thats why the computer won't boot. I dont have a floppy and putting my windows or motherboard cd in doesnt do a thing. Restarting doesnt and turning off and on doesnt. I have limited my options to getting a new motherboard or taking out the internal battery for 30 minutes, unless someone has a better idea. If the battery is the best way to go, do I just turn off and unplug computer and take it out while it is off? Also is it simple to take out? Do I need to use any special tools for my motherboard, also where would the battery be on my motherboard?

I need to get a new motherboard some day anyway for a quad...

2. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

Another thing, some people say remove for 24 hours, some for 30 minutes, some for 5 minutes, how long should I remove the battery for my board?

Edit: opened case to see If i can find battery, found it. Its a round lithium battery.

Oh well no one responded in an hour so I've removed the battery with the computer off and completly unplugged. Will wait 10 minutes then replace battery and plug it all back up. First time I've ever touched a CMOS battery I hope i do this right.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you updated the BIOS with the wrong file removing the battery isn't going to solve your problem.

4. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

oh, i thought it reset the bios, what do I do if this doesnt work then?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you flash the BIOS you re-write the BIOS firmware. All removing the battery does is reset the BIOS so you would be resetting to the same firmware.

I don't know what MSI has for recovery. Intel has a recovery BIOS that makes it really easy to overwrite a bad flash. Check the MSI site and see exactly what their recovery procedure is. You have to re-write the BIOS firmware to the correct firmware. They certainly should have some kind of recovery procedure.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the moderator crjdriver comes online he may be able to tell you the MSI procedure.

7. CCjon

CCjon

@Ben1220
    I can't solve your problem,but I'll tell you that that doesn't solve anything.I had a botched bios update attempt last dec.I called intel(my MB maker)technical support and they asked me to take out the CMOS battery or download some sort of program and put that in a floppy disk,install a floppy drive and use that program on my computer.Both of them doesn't work.Ended up having to sent the MB back to intel....:p

@win2kpro
    Does that recovery bios thing really work?:confused:

8. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

thanks I'll cheak out the msi site

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

The simple solution is go for the $8, spend the big bucks and get a floppy drive, that no pc should ever be without anyway. Then download the right bios from their website and install it yourself.

10. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

also I dont have a floppy drive...

11. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

might be a good idea

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've only had to use it once when someone flashed their board with the wrong BIOS, but it worked perfectly in that case.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

14. CCjon

CCjon

@Ben
    Btw is your board still warranty?Maybe you can just sent the board back to MSI or something....

i bought a new floppy drive and disks to try that time but it doesn't work for me....but thanks for replying:)

15. Ben1220

Ben1220 Thread Starter

i found this here http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_2

bottom step, for bios flash failed, should I do that with a floppy? And could I just get one of those usb floppy drives or won't it have activated the usb devices at this early stage of booting?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/678871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice