1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS update gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hamhamwich, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hamhamwich

hamhamwich Thread Starter

Hi

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I think I have messed up my computer big time and need some advice. :(

I was trying to update the BIOS on my Medion 8838 because I wanted to use more than 4GB of ram.

I downloaded the BIOS update from the Medion website booted the computer into DOS and applied the update.

Everything seemed to run smoothly with the update and when it finished my computer rebooted but just kept on turning on for about 2 seconds and then turning off again like it is stuck in a loop.

Now whenever I plug in the computer this loop of turning on and off starts again.

I have tried resetting the CMOS but to no avail.

I am seeking advice on what I can do.

Is this fixable?
    Do I need a new motherboard?
    Is my computer dead?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :confused:

2. SnakZ

SnakZ

3. hamhamwich

hamhamwich Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply SnakZ

I think I am just going to buy a new motherboard.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

http://www.medion.co.uk/ You might try contacting these folks and asking why your having the problem. I see a 1-800 number posted.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It sounds like this is too far gone to attempt a blind bios flash. You really have only three options;

1 Replace the mb
    2 Replace the bios chip [if it is one that uses a socket]
    3 If it is a standard type bios chip, you can attempt a hot flash of the bios using another system with the same chip config.

Note option 3 requires a high level of hardware skill to accomplish. One other item. If you replace the mb with something other than the same board or its designated replacement board, you will most likely have to buy a new copy of windows. OEM type windows lives and dies with the original hardware ie mb.

If you have a retail [not oem] copy of windows, then you can desregard having to buy a new copy.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice