1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Update Hp Pavilion a1740n

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhatNThe, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhatNThe

WhatNThe Thread Starter

I have an Hp Pavilion a1740n with Windows Vista Home Premium

I am looking to do a BIOS update and I am currently on the HP website looking at the only BIOS update they have listed there and all I need to do is verify that it is actually for my system

The BIOS update that they have listed there is: P5LP-LE Motherboard BIOS.

Can anyone tell me how to verify if the bios update in the correct one for my computer?

I have run the Belarc Advisor and what is below is the only part that even mention the word BIOS.

Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. LEONITE 5.00
    Serial Number: MS1C6CS27400601
    Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.06 11/24/2006

Can anyone tell me how to verify if the bios update in the correct one for my computer

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is there a problem with your machine that the BIOS update corrects? If not, don't flash your BIOS.

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

It is the right BIOS for your motherboard.

When you are in HP Support looking for drivers, there will be a listing for Product Specifications.
    Click and you will get another list for Product Specifications, Motherboard Specifications,

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq name: Leonite-GL8E

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Be sure the update fixes a problem you are having. We see many failed updates on the hardware forum and the result is the board is now unbootable.

While doing a bios flash is not difficult, and incorrect flash will render the board useless until the bios chip is replaced.

The above advise by win2kpro is very valid. Unless you need the update; leave it alone.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is what's listed at the HP site for your computer for the BIOS update:

Released: 2008-05-06

Version: 5.23

Compatibility: Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Starter, Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)

System requirements: You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
    You must have a Microsoft Windows Vista operating system.
    You must have a P5LP-LE motherboard.

Description: P5LP-LE Motherboard BIOS update corrects SATA port information displayed in BIOS setup.

Enhancements: Fixes BIOS Setup Menu Display for SATA Port 2 and 3 .
    Updates CPU microcode.
    Updates AWDFLASH to v115M for MXIC SPI Flash Support.

That update was released over a year ago. Why are you inclined to want to install it now?

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice