BIOS Update, is it possible?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

0vermind

My BIOS is 3 years old... and I've other people with the same BIOS as mine but newer version.

QUESTION: If I update my BIOS will it still recognize SDRAM (e.g. SDRAM DIMM)

Here is my BIOS Information...
GBT - 42302e31/Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS Date: 1/22/2002

I have seen other people with up to v6.0PG....

Does anybody have any idead as towards howto update my BIOS Version?? One comany I asked they said they made a BIOS Upgrade for the exact type of machine I have and they'd sell it to me for $50 after student discount. BAD DEAL I Don't want to pay for a BIOS Upgrade!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help,
Michael

If your PC is running fine there is no reason to update or upgrade the BIOS. If it goes wrong your PC will be quite useful as doorstop. It really won't gain you anything unless there is a specific reason you want to upgrade or the manufacturer reccomends it. I believe you have a Gigabyte motherboard so find the model number for the motherboard, go to the manufacturers web site and look for the most current update. If there is a reason to update according to the version release go ahead and do it otherwise leave it alone.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The BIOS is customized for each specific motherboard, even though the version numbers are the same, the actual images are different. You need to get the BIOS upgrade from the maker of your MB. I agree on paying for it, I'd just buy a new MB, you get the BIOS and a lot more improvements. :)

valis

what about flashing it? woudln't the motherboard mfg make an update releaseable to the general public, with some pretty specific directions?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Generally the makers do make the BIOS updates available. I'm assuming that is not the case here. Of course, if we knew the exact make/model of the MB or computer, it would be a lot easier to answer the question. :)

kidcnote

Banned
0vermind said:
My BIOS is 3 years old... and I've other people with the same BIOS as mine but newer version.

QUESTION: If I update my BIOS will it still recognize SDRAM (e.g. SDRAM DIMM)

Here is my BIOS Information...
GBT - 42302e31/Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS Date: 1/22/2002

I have seen other people with up to v6.0PG....

Does anybody have any idead as towards howto update my BIOS Version?? One comany I asked they said they made a BIOS Upgrade for the exact type of machine I have and they'd sell it to me for $50 after student discount. BAD DEAL I Don't want to pay for a BIOS Upgrade!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help,
Michael
If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it, but if you must try here:

http://www.esupport.com/global/manufacturers.cfm

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, in a way, it is broke. That early of a BIOS date will not support a drive larger than 127gigs, so if he wants to add a larger hard disk... :)

0vermind

nooo thanks about Esupport nooooo they asked tooo much $50 bucks after discount and all I want I want is my NEW Memory RAM to work!! See this is the reason why I need to update. I check on the manufacters website and they gave me this program that checks my system for any Giga-Byte product and matches updates only thing it found was version 6.2 for the Intel 2002 Chipset.

JohnWill said:
Well, in a way, it is broke. That early of a BIOS date will not support a drive larger than 127gigs, so if he wants to add a larger hard disk...
only 127 gigs wow I'm lucked out with 120 GB (i'm lucky it supports it).

Well I don't know exactly what to do... that memory is important cause right now I have a 256 MB and I have 2 sticks of 128 that are not support (I think it is the BIOS but I could be wrong)

Any ideas??

Michael

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's not the BIOS I would guess. I can't imagine why a smaller memory module would require a BIOS update, I suggest you look elsewhere for this issue.

0vermind

okay, not that it really matters that much anymore I have 256 like I wanted. Now I wait I will probably buy a new computer next year that will hav Windows Vista on it which means that it will have at least 512 MB of memory and at least 64MB of Video Memory and a big harddrive with atleast 1.5 GHz Processor!

0vermind

notice I said "at least" it has to have that much not saying that it will I'm saying that at the bare minume they have to have those requirements

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online