1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios Update or EZ-Bios?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JHR, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JHR

JHR Thread Starter

I am trying to get my system to reconize my new 60gig IBM HDD. It will show 61 in the bios (with incorrect cylinders, heads ect) but only 8.4 after boot up. After searching this site (by the way is great) I have come to realize that I either need to update my bios or attemp to use a "overlay" program. It's all new to me but I have contacted Award Bios for an evaluation on wich update I need (still waiting back from them). I have been looking at EZ-Disc for $19 from there site and it look like it could be a fix also. My main question (s) are should I go with the update or EZ? Does Award charge for the updates? Is this actually a fix? I did a Belarc Advisor profile and come up with this- System Model (I'm not sure what this means) VIA Tech. VT82C692BX, Main Circ. Board 693-596-ITE8661. BIOS- Award 4.51 PG 01/06/00. I'm using Win. 98 SE w/ 500mghz Celeron. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks Jason

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

First, just my opinon, but there is more chance for a fatel mistake with a bios upgrade than the use of an overlay program. If anything goes wrong with a bios upgrade such as a power loss/surge or something else, you can render the motherboard useless or very expensive to fix. The use of the overlay program is simply a program that lets the older bios see the hard drive as something it is not. If you bought the IBM 60gig drive new, you should have received an installation disk with IBM's overlay program Diskmanager 2000 or an older version. If you did not, you can download it at:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm#Installation

From the information you provided from Belarc, the Award bios 4.51 size limitation is addressed on the IBM web site at the following web page:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/bios338gb.htm

3. JHR

JHR Thread Starter

Well after looking further into the bios thing. I decided not to update it due to possible problems. I downloaded IBM's program for installing the thing and it worked great. The program evaluates your existing drive and tailors the instructions specifically for your system- jumpers, mounting ect. Very step by step operation and what do you know..... it worked! Photoshop 6 here I come!:D

4. slipe

slipe

Make sure you do any partitioning of that HD before you load everything. An aftermarket program that partitions on the fly like Partition Magic will not work with the overlay software.

5. JHR

JHR Thread Starter

The program partioned it after the HDD was formated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice