Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bios update

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
I have the asus a7v8x board and updateing the bios with the asus update is great.. your able to update your bios from within windows with that program.. now i have 2 other systems 1 with an abit board and another with a shuttle board and i'd like to update both of their bios's, and i'd like to do it within windows like with the asus, my question is, is there a program out there that would work on these board like the asus updater works on the a7v8x board??? i'd like to update the bios files on these boards from within windows...

#2 ·
It's not a good idea to update your BIOS from Windows. It work's, that's right, but too many things can happen. Better is when you create a bootable floppy disk and copy the flash-program and the bios-update on it. The only thing you have to take care is, that you use the right update (Motherboard Model and Rev.Nr. have to be exactly the same ones) and that you have no power failure during flash.
Best is to go to the support page of your motherboard manufactorers.

#3 ·
I have to agree, if the manufacturer doesn't supply the utility, there's no way I'd even consider attempting it! How often are you going to be FLASHing the BIOS, booting to DOS for a one-time event isn't a big deal! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
thanks for the imput guys... i just love this utility from asus, it was soo easy to flash to the newest revision.. back in the socket 7 days i had a board i tried to flash with the bootdisk way, and ended up screwing up the motherboard and the bios... something happened and it just stopped so i was pretty much screwed....
I read somewhere that true or not, that asus has some sort of protection in their bios's, that if you flash wrong, it'll revert back to the original revision... i know with the asus update prog, you can go in and save your current revision.... it was a real snap, and i dont feel timid to flash the bios anymore....

but thanks anyways guys

#5 ·
Don't kid yourself...the utility can still make your motherboard useless if the flash goes bad. If the DIOS is corrupted the backup you make will do you absolutely no good at all. Look on their web site, they tell you that flashing a lower level BIOS version with the Windoze based flash is not reccomended and they still reccomend using the AFlash DOS based utility. Some newer boards have dual BIOS chips to have a current backup just for cases like this. There is also a product called BIOS Saviour that in effect does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.