1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ilkinmammadov24, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilkinmammadov24

ilkinmammadov24 Thread Starter

Hello,

So i just installed windows 8 on my Inspiron N5110 Dell computer and now when i reboot the computer it just shows the logo and then the screen goes dark and nothing else happens. I did some research and found that it was because my bios version is outdated. So the current bios version i had is A03. I went to Dell.com and typed in the service tag and realized that the new uptaded one is A11. So because my computer doesn't really work i decided to download it on another one and then transfer that to a usb flashdrive. So first I used this website http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN143196/EN
    i followed the directions and everything and then I downloaded the new updated version of bios and transferred it to the usb. So then i put the usb in the computer and restarted the computer and kept hitting the F12 button. The "please select boot device" comes up and i choose USB storage device button. When i do 2 error messages come up. 1) Bad or missing file /HIMEM.sys and bad or missing file /RAMDRIVE.SYS

What does that all mean? and also i did a diagnostic test and everything was good.
    any help would be appreciated. thank you so much

2. valis

valis Moderator

Howdy and welcome.

Have you checked Dells site to make sure you have the correct windows 8 drivers for that 5110?

3. ilkinmammadov24

no i have not. do you know where i would find that?

4. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I think that you are doing the installation wrong. First of all, download the bios update from your computer manufacturers website and follow this steps.
    1. Download the Bios update from Dell website.
    2. Copy and paste it on either a cd or flashdrive.
    3. If flashdrive is still installed in your computer open it by using normal procedures and double click on the Bios drive you copied into your flashdrive.
    4. Follow screen instructions
    5. Restart computer
    6. Your new bios should be installed in your computer.

6. ilkinmammadov24

ok but is that on the computer i am using or the one that's messed up? Like i am using another computer to install the new updated bios on a flash drive so that i can install it on my laptop that is messing up. it just shows me the logo and the goes dark so i can really do anything with it.

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    remove your hard drive from your laptop and see if you can connect it with your other computer (by USB or other means) so you can check your hard drive to see if it is defective.

8. valis

valis Moderator

actually I was referring to sound drivers, not the bios update.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, 32-bit or 64-bit, in your Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop?

What's the service tag number on it?

Version A11 is the most current BIOS update for it.

---------------------------------------------------------

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    All i can add to this is if you have to update a Bios please make sure you have the correct one for your model of computer and that you have the computer plugged into a power supply and not running on batteries. follow the instructions very carefully and take your time. one wrong move and you can end up with a very expensive paperweight.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice