1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved BIOS Update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UnbornCorpser, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UnbornCorpser

UnbornCorpser Thread Starter

Alienware x51 R2

I updated the BIOS for two reasons first was I forgot my password and the second was that I was still on A07 (Now on A10). A07 came out before W10 and wanted to just make sure it everything was up to date.

The update went smoothly the issue is from the boot process. Before when I was on A07 I'm pretty sure it always booted with Legacy mode unless I'm mistaken. After going into A10 it naturally tries to boot with Legacy but it gives this message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I can boot by choosing UEFI boot: Windows Boot Manager. Oddly enough within the BIOS it still has Legacy set as the boot mode so if I restart/shut down it will attempt to boot with that first. I know that attempting to change the boot option from BIOS gives a warning.

Is this a known issue with A10?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Try changing the Legacy option to UEFI and Legacy (both) and see what that does for you.

3. UnbornCorpser

I would have tried that but the warning did say something...that pushed me away from trying it. I forgot to write down what it said let me check it real quick.

4. UnbornCorpser

When attempting to change the boot option within the BIOS it gives this:

"Warning
    Changing boot modes will require that your boot storage device be partitioned to match the boot mode compatibility. Changing boot modes could result in an incompatibility boot storage device, which may prevent the original OS boot. Restoring the boot mode may resolve an incompatible boot storage device failure and recover the original OS boot."

Besides that I'm still extremely curious why it gives that original statement for when I try to boot in Legacy.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's the standard warning message that simply tells you the computer may not boot if you change the setting, which is exactly what is happening with you and you should change it back.

You probably weren't using Legacy boot before and that's why when you have it on now it doesn't work and why UEFI Windows Boot Manager does work.

6. UnbornCorpser

That's just it though I never touched the boot set-up before and when it started happening it was naturally set to Legacy. Is the UEFI windows boot manager the standard UEFI for boots?

And just out of curiosity is there any reason that I should worry that I can't access a Legacy boot? Is UEFI the better boot disregarding my situation?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    UEFI Boot Manager is the default for modern systems. Legacy boot is only required for older operating systems and boot media.

8. UnbornCorpser

Alright I'll go ahead and switch the boot option to UEFI then next time I restart. Thanks for the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice