BIOS update

Flokbok

Hi,
So I got this computer build in 2017 but the motherboard's BIOS hasn't been updated. The version is from 2016.
I was wondering if it's safe to update it to the latest version from late 2018 or do I need to go through every version one by one.

Also, I saw that not every drivers were install on it. So if I factory reset the whole machine, it is fine to download every drivers up to date or is the damage is done?

The motherboard is an MSI B250 PC MATE
Version: E7A72IMS.300
Build date: 10-26-2016

Thanks!

texasbullet

Ramon
You can install the latest Bios without the previous ones unless it is specified in there.

crjdriver

What is the reason for updating the bios? Bios updates are done for a reason ie cpu support, hardware support, fix a specific problem, etc. They are NOT done to have the latest and greatest bios. While a bios update is not a difficult task, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk.

If you decide to update the bios, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The original BIOS for that motherboard was released in October 2016.
The last BIOS update for it was released in August 2018.
There have been several BIOS updates in-between during that 22-month period which address compatibility and other issues.
If you decide to update the BIOS, you only need to update the last one.
As stated in post #4, make sure you know exactly how to update it before you start.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online