1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS update?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkelf_18, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hey I have an ASUS A7N8X-X MoBo and I was thinking of updating the BIOS, my questions are as following.

1. Is updating it dangerous, using the auto update feature? Cause I have a friend who updated his and fried the MoBo in the process.

2. Is it necesary?

3. Will it make Overclocking easier? Becase the BIOS setup I have now is not as nice as the one that came with my old Shuttle MoBo.

Anyway thanks,
    D.E.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i think the only reasons to update the bios is if there has been an update for it that applies to your setup.
    i.e.- you have a faster processor than what the board was originally rated for, and now asus has approved your cpu for that board and added it to the bios. if you don't have that cpu, i see no reason to update the bios...
    what does the description for the updated bios say?

3. imAmushroom

imAmushroom

If your board is running stable then there is no reason to update.

And as to if it"s safe? You have got to make sure you are updating the right BIOS

For ex. he may have had an erlier version MOBO (1.1 for example when he needed BIOS update for version 2.0)

If you follow this rule updating with Asus auto update is very safe.

I done it for all the Asus MOBOs I've put in for people (Over 12) and never had a problem.

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

C18X1005.ZIP
    this is the name of one of the updates for your board. the description says that it enhances system stability.
    this would be the only one i would consider. but like imamushroom said, be sure it is for the version you have.
    also, i'm not sure about what kind of conflicts could arise from having an OCed cpu and updating the bios- there may be nothing to worry about, but i would check it out to be sure.

5. imAmushroom

imAmushroom

I've not had a problem with OCed CPUs but if you OCed from the BIOS the reset the BIOS settings to the correct ones.

But as I said I haven't had a problem (there is always a first time though...)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/184294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice