Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bios Updating

940 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  RonK 
#1 ·
I need to update my Motherboard Bios. I found the site and downloaded the Bios file. I was cautioned by the Motherboard site to first make a copy of my existing Bios. Just how do you do this? How do you get to look at the Old Bios to copy the file name down or even copy it to a floppy?
I'm runnging Win 98 SE on a new ABIT motherboard.

#2 ·
check your manual, should have a section on bios flashing, basically you add the sy switch to the command line for executing the bios flash to save a copy of the old bios to the flash floppy.
If you dont have a manual you can download one here
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/dlmanual.htm

Must say I use nothing but abit boards and their web site just keeps getting worse. I use to use it alot for info, etc. But their attempts at upgrading in conjunction with there slow server have made a mess of it.

More info here on bios flashing, notice the command line, it has the sy switch in it to do the backup
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm

Just make sure you boot properly with no memory manager's running and it should go just fine.

#4 ·
So what your saying is that if I add "sy" to the command for flashing the BIOS it will automatically allow the computer to save the old Bios version to my floppy. By the way, The ABIT site for BIOS files says that you need to do one of two things before flashing the new Bios. 1- Add /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /cks /r_ to the command, or 2- If you copied all 5 files from the Bios download site which included a file runme.bat then just type runme to execute the bios flashing. It made no mention of typing sy to the command string. So am I missing something?

#5 ·
If you use the Award flash program it will give you the option of saving the old bios before flashing the new one. I save mine as old.bin

That's how it is for the KT7A series.

#6 ·
I am also ready to update an old motherboard "PA2013" made by fic. It also recommends to save the existing BIOS file. The manual says when prompted, during the flashing process, I should type in the name of the old BIOS file to copy, but it doesn't say where you go to get the name of the existing BIOS file. So does anyone know where you go to see what BIOS file you currently have on the motherboard?

Manuals are amazing to me. The editors should let people who know nothing about computers proof read them to make sure all the info you need is there.

#7 ·
Check the manual, it should have instructions on bios flashing, mine does.

The sn switch specifies no original bios backup, changine the sn switch to sy should back up original bios to disk .

You can also find out what switches are allowed with yours by booting with the flash floppy and at the command prompt type awdflash /? should give you a list of acceptable switch commands and what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.