1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios upgrade, memtest86+ won't stop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melissa_1959, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melissa_1959

melissa_1959 Thread Starter

My son has a DFI NForce3 motherboard. He went to the DFI site and downloaded the bios upgrade using the winflash software. The system then started running memtest86+ (he did not tell it to.)

It went through a dozen passes -- no errors -- and now he can't get it to stop. He's tried pushing escape but its turning the test back on. He's tried the other tabs on memtest86+ (I can't remember the names) and memtest86+ restarts but he can't get back to Windows.

How can he turn the darn thing off? I'm not computer literate, but I did a little checking and I came across something that said to take memtest86+ out of the floppy drive or reset the boot order. His memtest86+ is not on a floppy or cd and he can't get the bios to come up to reset a boot order.

Any ideas how to get Windows to come back up?

2. melissa_1959

melissa_1959 Thread Starter

We got it figured out. He rebooted his computer by pressing ESC. Then, as it was coming back on, he kept tapping the DEL key (the key to get into the DFI BIOS). From there, I'm not sure what tab, he disabled the memtest. Then, he rebooted and Windows came right up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!