BIOS upgrade problem...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aquaboy

Hi guys,

Earlier this morning I updated the BIOS on my MB (ASUS A8N5X) according to the instructions in the user guide and on the ASUS site. When I went to reboot the system, it freezes before even loading Windows (XP Pro) and to add to that I am unable to access the Boot menu as the keyboard won't work anymore. I'm not sure what to do next as I feel stuck at the moment.

Any ideas please?

Ta,
Aquaboy.

crjdriver

Here are some things to try.

1 Have you tried clearing cmos [asus calls this rtc or real time clock]

2 Your board has the crash free bios feature. You can insert your support CD and reboot the system. The CD will give you the option to restore the bios; let it do so.

crjdriver

BTW why did you flash the bios in the first place? Is there something on the new bios that you need? If not, then do not update the bios. It can lead to problems.

aquaboy

crjdriver said:
Here are some things to try.

1 Have you tried clearing cmos [asus calls this rtc or real time clock]
How do I get to that?

crjdriver said:
2 Your board has the crash free bios feature. You can insert your support CD and reboot the system. The CD will give you the option to restore the bios; let it do so.
I thought of that, and when I inserted the CD nothing happened. It doesn't boot to it automatically that's why I wanted to go into the Boot set up, to change the boot order.

aquaboy

crjdriver said:
BTW why did you flash the bios in the first place? Is there something on the new bios that you need? If not, then do not update the bios. It can lead to problems.
I had been having some problems with the system and thought it might be something to do with it. Certainly has lead to problems. :(

Any other suggestions for what I can try?

BTW, cheers for the prompt reply. I appreciate it.

crjdriver

You clear cmos / rtc with the clear jumper. It will be close to the cmos battery; check your manual.

If that does not work, disconnect all hd and boot with your support CD. Note you do not have to pull the ribbon / sata cables; just disconnect the power to the hd.

aquaboy

8dalejr.fan said:
Flashing the BIOS can render your system useless, or so I have been told. :(
Definitely is at the moment anyway. Damn things!

aquaboy

crjdriver said:
You clear cmos / rtc with the clear jumper. It will be close to the cmos battery; check your manual.

If that does not work, disconnect all hd and boot with your support CD. Note you do not have to pull the ribbon / sata cables; just disconnect the power to the hd.
Yikes, that sounds a little scary, but I'll give it a shot if all else fails.

crjdriver

Clearing cmos / rtc is no big deal. The jumper is on pin 1-2 you just move it to cover pins 2-3 for a few seconds. When I have to do this, I like to unplug the power plug. What you are doing is removing all power from the system and going back to bios defaults.

aquaboy

So, even though i flashed the BIOS it may still go back to its default yeah? I like the sound of that.

Any idea about how I can get a non-responsive keyboard to work as well, or will the above cover it?

Cheers again for your help.

crjdriver

No. Clearing cmos will not revert the bios back to the one you had originally. Using the bios recovery feature of the CD will restore the bios to the version the board shipped with.

aquaboy

Hi, I'm back.
Well, I did all of the above suggestions.......
Firstly I managed to get a keyboard working, so I entered the BIOS setup and set the boot order for CDROM first, so I could restore the original BIOS. This had no effect.

Secondly, I reset the CMOS, as described (it actually was pretty easy). This also had no effect.

When I boot up, the system gets to the point where it has the following on screen:

PCI device listing...
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor/ Device Class Device Class IRQ
0 1 1 10DE 0052 0C05 SMBus Controller 11
0 2 0 10DE 005A 0C03 USB 1.1 OHCI Controller 5
0 2 1 10DE 005B 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Controller 3
0 4 0 10DE 0059 0401 Multimedia Device 5
0 7 0 10DE 0054 0101 IDE Controller 11
0 8 0 10DE 0055 0101 IDE Controller 5
1 0 0 10DE 00F9 0300 Display Controller 3
5 6 0 1106 3044 0C00 Serial Bus Controller 11
5 7 0 109E 036E 0400 Multimedia Device 11
5 7 1 109 0878 0480 Multimedia Device 11
ACPI Controller 9

And then the cursor just sits there blinking annoyingly at me. I don't know if the above is elevant or not, but if anyone has any further suggestions on what I should do here I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Aquaboy

crjdriver

Does your system access the floppy drive before it has a problem?

If so, just flash back to your previous bios version.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts