1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bob C., Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob C.

Bob C. Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I don't think this is a W2K specific problem, but that is the OS I am running so I will ask here.
    I have a problem that maybe someone here can help me with. I will try to keep this short.
    I have a 300 MHz PII. I purchased it with 128 MB RAM (32+32+64 168 PIN DIMMs). This system was purchased in Jan ‘98. In May ‘01, I added 256 MB of RAM. Since there are onlyy 3 DIMM sockets on this MB, I removed one of the 32 MB DIMMs. This gave me 256+64+32 = 352 MB. On boot up this is what was indicated. All this was while running W98SE and ME (I later removed ME and returned to W98SE). A few months ago I upgraded the OS to W2K. Everything ran fine. Then later I decided to install and new HD (40GB). I discovered that the BIOS that came with the machine had the older 8GB HD limitation.
    I checked with a local computer repair shop that has a good reputation. They said they don’t do BIOS upgrades. Checking with the MB mfg. (FIC) and the BIOS mfg. (AMI) I found a recommended upgrade for the version I had. I downloaded the upgrade with an installer pgm. from FIC. I read some of the procedures on each site warning that usually these upgrades go OK, but frequently several problems could come up. Well I decided to take a chance. As luck would have it, I had several problems. The 8GB HD limit was gone as I hoped. The other problems I have resolved by working one at a time. The one remaining problem I can’t solve. Maybe someone here has the answer. The CMOS setup with the new BIOS has a couple of more pages that the old one did and I have no instructions as to what some of these additional setting do, but I suspect my problem is a simple one and just needs a change in some of these setup parameters.
    The problem is I have lost 128 MB of RAM. Since there are no single DIMMs of that size in my computer, I am at a loss as to how half of one DIMM (the 256) is not addressable. I have swapped the DIMMs around to different sockets with no change. On boot up the computer only identifies 229MB. Also, that’s all that is shown under ‘My Computer’ window. I have changed some of the new parameters shown in the CMOS setup with no change. I have only changed one at a time and always reset it to the default setting before trying another. In trying to access FIC and AMI help pages and looking for a way to email their customer service, they just pass the buck. FIC says to contact AMI and AMI says to contact FIC. AMI says they no longer support this BIOS version. I have installed other 256 MB DIMMs with no change.
    Every thing now works fine except for this RAM problem. Anyone out there have a suggestion?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob C.

2. ratchet

ratchet

Bob C.,
    Welcome to TSG.
    If you browse thru your CMOS setup utility (bios) do you see any speed settings for your DIMM ports? If you do page down to change the speed and give each setting a try. If it doesn't work you can reset to default.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/91217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice