1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sipapu, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sipapu

sipapu Thread Starter

Having problems with a software, Microsoft says upgrade your BIOS. Present BIOS is ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS version 1004C dated 9/2/00. Shall I upgrade or could it cause more problems than it solves?

2. slipe

slipe

Flashing the BIOS will not cause problems if it is successful. The problem with a BIOS flash is that if done improperly or something unforeseen like a power failure occurs you can render the computer unusable. It is recommended you not flash the BIOS without a good reason, but it appears you have a reason to do it.

Read the instructions several times before you attempt it and ask on the board if you have any questions. It is no big deal to flash the BIOS – you just don’t want to go into it without a clear understanding of the steps.

3. Wogster

Wogster

I was reading your letter on wanting to upgrade your BIOS, I too have wanted to do this for some time now. Where do I go to get an upgrade for what I have? This is my info:

BIOS TYPE: Award Modular BIOS v4.51 PGM

BIOS ID: 02/08/1999-i440BX-ITE867-2A69KH2BC-00

BIOS EVAL: (6610S131) Intel i440BX Chipset (TM)

Do I have to contact the maker of Award Modular? I can't contact where I bought my computer because they are "out-of-business".
    My computer is a PC Clone, PII 350MHz, Overclocked 434MHz, 224 mb SDRAM, running Win98, 15 gig HDD. I always do all my own repairs or upgrades, but have never done the BIOS...

4. rugrat

rugrat

Wogster,

Based on the bios info you gave, your mothherboard is a Shuttle HOT-661. You can download a bios here,

http://www.spacewalker.com/english/download.htm

However, there are 3 different versions of that board, you need to make sure which version you have. 1.1, 2.0 or 3.1
    The Version-ID is printed on the PCB next to the outer ISA slot.

SeeYa

PS: The HOT-661V is a different board completely.

5. prospect

prospect

I upgrade my BIOS about a week ago. And after I did the upgrade, I had all kinds of little problems.
    The first problem was that the BIOS didn't see my cdrw, then when I got that fixed, it didn't see my HD and the PC wouldn't start up for me. It said "connot find OS".
    All this because I had 2 HD'S and I had to change the jumper setting on the cdrw, and the the HD I had as a slave, which worked fine before I flashed my BIOS.
    So be ready for anything when ya fool around with the BIOS;)

Prospect:D

6. TOGG

TOGG

Wogster,

Take a look at AIDA32;http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

This is a free utility which should be able to identify every component and piece of software on your computer. If you decide to try it I would stick with the version issued on 12/13/2002 rather than the recent preview version.

If your board is correctly identified there should be a link to the makers site.

Re-read all the earlier postings about potential problems with BIOS flashing!!

7. Wogster

Wogster

To those of you that offered help, I have downloaded AIDA and it tells me that both my MB BIOS and Video card BIOS is out-of-date.
    with the gathered info from AIDA I will search out both BIOS needed. Wish me luck, for I've never flashed a BIOS before. I've heard that all kinds of trouble can result if it's not exactly matched. When I find what's needed, and have enough confidance to take on the quest, I will return and post the final results. THANK YOU.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice