1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sescobar, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sescobar

sescobar Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a HP pavilion 6404 (PIII 550, 128M, 10G HDD), been running win98 and recently upgraded to xp. the system is hanging on the windows welcome screen. I have loaded the OS twice with same prob. been told that I may need to upgrade the bios of the motherboard. the m/board has got written P2B-VE (ASUS AS97-127F). went to hp website and downloaded the little program to flash the bios, but stops and display a message saying "cannot flash when memory agents (eg HIMEM) are present".
    AM I missing something? or is there anything I should be doing differently?
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    SE

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Bios updates should be done from pure dos ie no memory managers, config.sys, autoexec.bat, etc running. Go to bootdisk.com and download the disk they have just for flashing a bios.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Should have included that once you make the bootdisk, copy the bios update and flash utility [if needed] to the boot disk. Make sure you read the mgf's instructions for flashing the bios. Doing a flash is not difficult, however a bad flash can render your board unbootable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice