1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nettie, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nettie

nettie Thread Starter

hello there,
    The HD on my kids computer blew and I bought a seagate 40G HD. I know that 98se only recognizes up to 32G but I can use fdisk to partition it provided the BIOS reads the full 40G. Well, it doesn't. I did some reading and if I upgrade the BIOS it should read the full 40. (right?) Well, the problem is that I have never ventured a BIOS flash and upon reading it says that I can ruin the computer if I choose the wrong BIOS upgrade. I am having a hard time finding the upgrade. I found one that just says award modular Bios v4.51PG but the following number is different. (2Y5IMG01)
    I hope there is someone that could help me locate the right bios upgrade. (installation instructions would be greatly appreciated. I have also been told that overlay software may be the route as well. Your thoughts.
    thanking you in advance.
    Nettie :confused:

computer is
    350mhz
    os is 98se
    256m ram
    new 40G seagate hd
    BIOS : award modular Bios v4.51PG 2A5LA008

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

You could just purchase a Promise or Highpoint add-in controller card that would overcome ur present award bios limitation of 32G.
    Also ud realize the added increase in speed of the IDE transfer rates from 33Mb to 100/133 Mb. All u need is an open pci slot and bout $30/$35 outlay or so for the card.

3. nettie

nettie Thread Starter

thanks for the advise. I have an open slot and I will go that route. Let you know how it goes. Thanks again,
    nettie

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

yeah ok, let us know. Is the Seagate 40 Gb a retail ver of the drive, or OEM ? Lik someone had told u the drive overlay softwr can also be installed from Seagate. If it's a retail ver the Ovrlay Softwr should be on the Seagate Install Disk. This no doubt would be ur cheapest route. If its OEM you will hav to download it from the Seagate website. By using an add-in controller card and thus increasing ur IDE transfer rate 3 fold; ur really not gonna see much improvement running w/ a 350 Mhz cpu which is runnin at 66 or 100 mhz bus speed.
    You can also trash the bios with the right bios upgrade. It's referred to as a "bad flash". So even with the right bios flash you can still trash ur system's bios. If the system is runnin okay it is usually best to not risk flashing ur bios.

Also too, it is not the Win98 OS that limits you to 32Gb as u mentioned earlier. It is ur MB's current Bios ver that is responsible for that. I am not sure if that's what you mean't to say earlier or not ?

Good Luck, Nettie

5. WarC

WarC

Yup, most hard-drives come with software that can be used to setup the drive using the full space.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/237514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice