1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glaze, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glaze

glaze Thread Starter

I know I need one,

Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    System BIOS Date 10/31/02
    CPU Type AMD Duron, 1111 MHz (11 x 101)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7VAX

Do I need one? If so what do I do when I get one?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly, why do you need one?

You should only flash the BIOS to correct a problem that affects your PC and for which the maker has released a modified BIOS.

Any program that "suggests" a BIOS is oudated and should be upgraded (such as Belarc or Everest etc) should be ignored.

There is a finite chance (actually a few %) that a BIOS flash will fail, and that can often mean the destruction of the motherboard in an economic sense.

3. Drew7997

Drew7997

you said that you "know you need one" then go on to say "Do I need one"? which is it?
    ONLY FLASH if you are experiencing issues with new more modern hardware that you added to your computer and it is failing. If it fails to recognize the new Hardware then flashing could help. It basically is a new set of instructions for more modern equipment that wasn't out when the BIOS was made.
    but don't flash cause you feel that you need to.

4. glaze

glaze Thread Starter

Ah, I get it I just thought that ugrading something was always to your advantage - thanks.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The BIOS is kinda' a special case. If you make a mistake here, you could be shopping for a new MB. :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Only update the bios if the update addresses an issue you are having or gives more options / performance.

While updating a bios is a straightforward task, it does entail a small amount of risk. As long as you read the instructions and follow them exactly, it generally works well.

I have flashed many many bios and only had one that did not work right. I was lucky that it was an asus board with the crash free bios. I was able to restore the original bios and then do another update.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have had a failure, and also have had several brought in with failed FLASH operations. I use a FLASH programmer to finish the job, but most folks don't have one of those sitting on the shelf. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice