1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by compaquser, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compaquser

compaquser Thread Starter

Hi I have a problem. I never upgraded my bios before I checked the compaq site and don't see any updates. I ran the program called everest and it told me to upgrade my bios because it was outdated. I don't know what to do because I ran various programs and they show that my bios is unknown.

My computer is randomly freezing that is why im am trying to update bios, i dont think it has to do with overheating or psu problems or ram issues. I think it is with my bios.

Compaq 5002US
    Windows XP PRO
    AMD Duron Processor 801 MHz
    192 mb ram
    8 mb nvidia vanta lt graphics card

2. shdunnin

shdunnin

Does your computer randomly freeze, or randomly restart?? If it restarts try this:

- Right Click on "My Computer"
    - Select "Properties"
    - Select "Advanced" tab
    - Under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings" button
    - Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

You should now experience the infamous "blue screen of death" (If in fact your Pc was randomly restarting to begin with).

Check out this link and see if it with bios update:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ocname=c00007682&product=92885&dlc=en&lang=en

Usually you have to download some utility to "flash" your bios on a floppy. It shouldn't be too hard. Good luck!

3. compaquser

No. Doesn't really help since I dont have the option to see my bios type.

4. norton850

norton850

Random freezes can be a difficult problem to troubleshoot. However updating your BIOS is unlikely to fix the problem. And unless you have made some hardware changes to your system that need a BIOS update or have a particular problem fixed by a BIOS update, you probably don't need one anyway.

No pattern at all to the freezing? Does the screen just freeze?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would not do a bios update 'just for the fun' of updating it. You can do serious harm if you do it wrong, or flash it with the incorrect version.

Why are you certain it isn't overheating?

6. compaquser

The only reason why I say it isn't overheating is because sometimes it runs for long periods I mean like 6 hours and doesn't freeze. But it may be my video card. Sometimes when I touch it it feels hot. And I also have a low power supply only 250 watts. I would get a new video card and see if that would fix the problem but I don't want to waste my time and money. I wish there was a way to check. I use everest but i only have heat sensors on my hard drive not cpu or anything else.

7. ~Candy~

An overheating video card will display the symptoms you've mentioned. So will an underpowered power supply.

8. compaquser

So what should I do. This time I want a video card with a fan and a power supply with more power. What is relatively cheap that you can recommend.

9. ~Candy~

Against more solid advice given around here, I usually buy a cheap power supply. I have never had issues with them...that being said, you may wait for one of the power supply gurus :D to reply.

Video cards for me aren't important. I did recently get a new one ---- 128 megs with a fan for $30 after rebate :D I'll see if I can't dig up a link for that one. I just returned from a 45 day trip and I'm pretty exhausted today :(

10. ~Candy~

11. compaquser

How sure are you if I replace my video card and psu that the problem will be fixed. I don't have any adware, viruses, spyware, trojans or anything like that on my pc just to let you know. So how sure are you.

12. ~Candy~

Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes :D

Do you check the temperatures in your bios setup when you begin to have problems?

Have you tried running the computer in safe mode? When it freezes up, are you doing something that is video intensive?

Also, try running the system with the side off, and perhaps place a house fan blowing thru the case.

13. compaquser

I am not doing anything that is video intensive. It just randomly freezes, the only thing that I can check the temp for is my HDD and it is not high at all but I can feel my video card and it is a bit hot. Everything else is ok. I tried running in safe mode but it still freezes.

14. ~Candy~

Your bios setup should have an area for PCHealth. Can you check to see what temp shows there?

15. compaquser

My bios is outdated and I am having a really hard time on updating it because when i try to check my bios version it says unknown and I don't know what to download. And the bios that I have now is crappy Compaq garbage that doesn't have the temp options. I only have sensors on my HDD anyways so it doesn't really matter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice