1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I would like to upgrade my bios but I'm a bit confused. Are these upgrades available for free download? I inquired with one company and they said it was $60. That seems a bit steep to me. Then someone else told me bios upgrades are free just like drivers. Can someone explain this to me please?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

BIOS updates are free.

You get them by going to the board makers website and downloading the updated BIOS.

Be very careful if you decide to do this, if you choose the wrong board, say the KT800 v1.0a instead of the KT800 v1.0b you can fry your board. Also do not stop the BIOS update once you start, a partially updated motherboard is a dead motherboard.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok, thank you for the advice. Can you help me pick out which one I need please? Here is the information:

BIOS Date: 04/23/02
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    BIOS ID: 04/23/2002-VIA-KT133
    OEM Sign-On: ASUS A7Pro ACPI BIOS Revision 1011
    Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
    Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 4h
    CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) Processor 1100 Mhz MAX: 1800 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 1024 MB
    Memory Maximum: 1536 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 512 MB
    Memory Slot 03: 256 MB

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Where did you get that information first of all, it looks a little generic.

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

6. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I got it from here; http://www.unicore.com/ they have a program called Bios Agent that is suppose to tell you what you need, then they send you an email asking for $60 if you want to upgrade.

7. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

And thanks for the link!

8. ClubMan

ClubMan

You should get BIOS updates and update utils from the vendor of the machine. Generic updates may or may not work and could leave your system unusable. Also you should only update the BIOS if you know that it will address a specific problem that you are experiencing. Expecially when it comes to BIOS updates ... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

9. bistro

bistro

I absolutely agree with ClubMan on this issue. BIOS upgrades are not the same animal as an app or game upgrade. The best policy is that if it does not add a feature you absolutely need, then the upgrade is not necessary at all.

Any bozohead who demands 60 bucks for a BIOS upgrade deserves a kick in the bee-hind. Don't fall for that scheme. As ClubMan said, BIOS upgrades are free from the manfacturer and have been tested for your particular board.

10. MongooseDog

MongooseDog

yeah i ran into those bios upgrade people and they are full of crap. ignore anything they say and if ya need a system analyzing program i suggest Everest. If anyone has anybad info on Everest i would like to know just incase i am wrong.

thanks

Stephen

11. bistro

bistro

Nothing bad about it...Everest is an excellent program. Can get it here

12. MongooseDog

MongooseDog

yay i wasn't wrong for once.

13. ClubMan

ClubMan

In relation to third party BIOS upgrade vendors do eSupport fall into the category of BIOS snake oil salesmen and, if so, why do Phoenix redirect customers to them? I was looking for a BIOS update from them (eSupport) but their site didn't make it clear what I would be getting for my 30 bucks so I emailed them and never heard back at all. :(

I'll second that positive comment about Lavalys Everest. Excellent utility. From what I've seen on this board in my few weeks here I reckon that a lot of time could be saved if people always posted at least the summary report from Everest with their query to save people having to explicitly ask for motherboard, BIOS and other hardware details in follow up posts.

14. MongooseDog

MongooseDog

If it cost money then i would go with yes. Expecially if it was $30. that is $30 more than free.

Stephen

15. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I was going to upgrade the bios because Western Digital's website said to accomodate a 250GB HD I would need an upgrade. No matter. I just bought a new AMD 3500. Will pick up tomorrow so I'm happy. Will recycle this computer to a family memeber.

Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice