1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios upgrade ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FREDOO, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FREDOO

FREDOO Thread Starter

I.ve ben told by my computer tech that my bios need updating!! can someone tell me in plain terms how it wil improve my pc. does it makes things quicker etc etc.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only reason to update the BIOS is to fix some issue or problem. It won't affect the speed of operation. I'd find out why he thinks you need an update, because if you screw up during the process, you can have a large problem.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Question I have is. If the computer tech says you need a BIOS upgrade why didn't he/she upgrade it?

I would check with another source first.

4. FREDOO

FREDOO Thread Starter

I wanted to do a little research first before spending more money as i dont really understand to much about the bios !!
    I'm learning more every day ! thanks guys. I suppose the biggest bugbear I have is working out what makes these damm things go slower and slower!! I looked in the task manager for applications running, but dont really know whats nede and whats not! i Have
    49 running and someonetold me I should only have 35?? the mind boggles!!

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What males these computers run slow? Well it is several things basically. The more programs you install makes Windows run slower. You know like if you install Microsoft Office and Auto cad and other programs, then there are the other programs like spyware and virus's and all sorts of malware and rootkits. Then we have to install programs to fight the bad programs. All of this is enough to really goof up any computer. Actually I could go on for another hour but will not.

One thing if you are going to take out any of the system processes that you have been told you have too many of like you have 49 and somebody told you that you should have only 35. These processes are put in here by installing programs, I will admit that there may be a few you can do with out and if you decide to get rid of them, a word to the wise get rid of them one at a time and only after you research what the process is for before removing it, and also write the name down so If you goof and have to re-install you can. Remember the word is research.

6. FREDOO

FREDOO Thread Starter

Thanks for that, maybe you could help me again........ In the processes running , thay all have user names. i.e. System, me, network service and local service. now am i right in assuming that the I can delete all but the "SYSTEM" processes ??

7. Pistoff

Pistoff

Hello all-
    I have in the past accomplished a bios upgrade. If you are not careful during this process, you may turn a $500.00 mobo into a $.25 door stop! :(
    A glitch in electricity can even bring on this unwanted outcome. Take it from an old saying - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'.
    R

8. IBM

IBM

A BIOS update may also add extra support for specific harware/software devices.

These days upgrading your BIOS (flashing the BIOS) is fairly easy and for the most part not as dangerous as it once was. Your BIOS manufacturer may even supply a utility on their website for flashing the Bios via Windows. In the past you had to Flash the BIOS through DOS. I recently flashed my own bios using a Windows Utility. It took about 5 Mins or less. No problems. But like it has been said, it does have an element of risk. If for what ever reason the Update is interrupted, you could lose your Mobo.... Recovery is very difficult if at all possible. Well to my knoweldge.

As for System Processes.
    Download a Tool called ProgramChecker.
    It will list all your proccesses and give advice on what they do and if they are safe to run.
    It's also a good tool to check for spyware or viruses.

If that isnt enough you can always do a Google search for the process Name,
    ie: winlogon.exe

Google usually turns up 5+ websites that offer descriptions on the process searched for.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice