1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChryssaMcQ, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChryssaMcQ

ChryssaMcQ Thread Starter

:confused: I have been trying to upgrade my BIOS that is over five years old, yet when I follow the directiond that I got, it runs par way and then says I am missing a file, I have all the files it said I needed. I don't know what to do, and I am having tons of trouble with my processor, and video chip which I have been told is all related to the BIOS problem please help...

2. max 8

max 8

Are you using a floppy to flash your bios?

Do you have the flashing utility and the bios file on it and nothing else?

I've gotten that message before and I just needed to use a different version of the flashing util.

3. ChryssaMcQ

Where could I find an updated version of the flash utility, I have the one from my motherboard's web site...

4. max 8

max 8

What motherboard do you have and what is your bios and version?

There are usually a few versions of the flash util.

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

ChryssaMcQ- If you are already aware of this I apologize to you for re-stating it, perhaps someone who does not already know will read this thread.

Flashing your BIOS is a VERY dangerous activity. If it is done incorrectly or has problems (even as simple as a small power surge) when it is actually writing the BIOS it can render your machine inoperable - and you would have to replace the BIOS chip itself.

Just be very careful. Do not attempt this except when you are confident that you will have a short period of very stable conditions.

6. ChryssaMcQ

I have a Matsonic 7308d/e motherboard, and an American Trends BIOS I don't know what verion, all I know is that it is from 9/15/1997

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice