1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drafter, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I have a "P41 845PE 2AA3" mother board with phonex award bios v6 and I am trying to upgrade the BIOS. I know i need Flash utility and the upgrade software. Does anybody know where i can find these 2 items.

thanx

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Why do you want to do a upgrade? I dont recomend updating a bios.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's right unless there is a hardware issue that you know will be fixed by a specific upgrade, there is no reason to flash a bios and many reasons not to.

4. chrome57

chrome57

We are all in agreement, I did a CPU upgrade recently and had success with an Asus M2N bios upgrade, but was aware of the possibility of making a large paperweight. Very dodgy, and the CPU upgrade would be my only reason. The Asus flash utility worked a treat.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

Could very likely do more damage than good.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you really feel you need to do it then your motherboard manufacturer should have everything you need on their website, including instructions on how to do it.

Just bare in mind what other people have said, it can be risky and unless you have a specific problem that you know the upgrade will fix I would suggest not doing it.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here are some basic rules I use about updating or installing ANYTHING.

#1-BIOS Update: If your BIOS needs an update to solve a particular problem you are encountering, then update the BIOS. When updating a BIOS, remember it is always much safer to update if your machine is connected to a UPS so the update cannot be interrupted.

#2-Drivers: Many people update their drivers just because there is a new driver available. Again, if you are not having problems with a device, then there is no reason to update. Also, if you are updating a driver, even though XP has a driver "roll back" feature it is always better to make a system restore point before updating.

#3-Installing new programs: If you are installing a new program it is always a good idea to make a system restore point before installing the program.

#4-Windows Updates: Personally, I am not about to let Microsoft download and install updates before I look at the updates. I set up my machines and all machines I build for customers to set Automatic Microsoft Updates in the control panel to; "Notify me but don't automatically download and install them." Again, I make a system restore point before installing any Microsoft Uopdates.

#5-Editing The Registry: It is always a good idea to make a back up copy of the Registry before editing ANYTHING in the Registry. There are instructions at the Microsoft site regarding the procedure for backing up your Registry before editing the Registry.

One very important thing to remember regarding BIOS updating, is the fact that making a System Restore Point WILL NOT help you if you have a failed BIOS update.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

All solid ideas Win2K!

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Thank you Rich.

10. Spandexer

Spandexer

As Tanis stated, you can get what you need from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
    I won't advise you either way, but I'll give you a couple of my experiences.
    I recently updated 2 very different PC BIOS':

1. Gigabyte EP45 with Vista I built for a friend. Gigabyte's Dynamic Energy Saver utility (DES) would cause the PC to crash and blue screen after a minute or 2. Gigabyte's BIOS update stated "Enhanced compatibilities of Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced". After updating the BIOS I left the DES on for several hours and no more crashes. My friend has yet to report any problems.

2. MSI 865PE Neo 2 with XP build. MSI's BIOS update stated it would lower CPU temps. MSI strongly recommended I download rescue/restore files onto a floppy in case things went awry. I'M SO GLAD I DID. After the update which seemed to go perfectly, the PC wouldn't boot. For several hours I went through the BIOS' settings trying this and that including the default and advanced choices and I just could not get it to boot up. As a last resort I used the rescue floppy which restored the previous BIOS and all was well. Whew!

Good luck with whatever you decide drafter.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I search using the part# you posted, I do not get any results. Is this by chance a board used in a dell, hp, compaq, etc?

12. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

my only 40gb hard drive just burnt out so I am trying to put in a 300gb hard drive and it wont recognize it. is this not the way to go?

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

If your motherboard is original equipment in a mass produced machine such as a Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. you need to get your BIOS update from the machine manufacturers website.

If the motherboard is a non-proprietary motherboard you need to get your BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturers site.

What operating system are you using, and what is the service pack for the operating system?

14. drafter

drafter Thread Starter

I am using XPpro and service pack 2. I have tried to find the flash update on the mother board manufacturer's site but i cant find it.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not answered; is this a dell, hp, gateway, whatever?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice