1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryanhe, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

Just got a 1000mhz slot a thunderbird for my computer, I looked through the manual and made sure that the cpu was compatible with the board (or so i thought). It turns out that the manual that shipped with the board from ebay was for the Asus K7V-T and the board itself was a K7V. I then found out online the K7V only supports the Athlon and Athlon classic CPUs. My question is that because the boards are almost identical, can I update the bios of my board with the latest bios for the K7V-T, and if so will this enable support for the CPU? Thanks, Ryan

2. TekTime

TekTime

I don't think that the BIOS is the only factor determining support for the other mentioned CPUs. I would say that NO, you couldn't update the BIOS to make your chip compatible but I could be wrong. I couldn't find too much info pertaining to the differences in the two boards.

3. ryanhe

ryanhe Thread Starter

Thanks, I had my doubts. But do you think that I could use the Bios update for the K7V-T board and it would work with the plain K7V without messing up the board (just for the sake of trying), I didn't pay much for it but it is a good board and I don't want to wreck it. Both the newest bios updates for both boards are version 1007 and both have the same fixes.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Flashing a bios with an upgrade NOT made for the board is really asking for a problem. No one can give you an absolute answer to your question. YOU need to decide if the upgrade is worth making the board junk.

I do agree that it is quite possibly more than a different bios that determine whether or not you can run a given cpu. The VRs on the board have to be capable of suppling the required pw.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice