1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS version

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwave, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwave

mwave Thread Starter

How do I tell what BIOS version I have in my PC? I am running NT. Also How do you flash the BIOS? and Why? Can you help me with these questions. Thank you.:)

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You will get more accurate assistance if you will tell us the name brand of your PC.

3. mwave

mwave Thread Starter

I have a DELL Optiplex GX1.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Any particular reason you want to update the BIOS? A bad flash will render your computer dead and a good flash may offer you no benefits at all.

A place to visit would be Dell's website for you specific Optiplex GX1 model - they will have the BIOS updates, flash utility, and
    instructions.

The bios version is displayed when teh computer first starts up on the DELL post screen. You may have to press ESC ot TAB to see more info during the POST.

5. mwave

mwave Thread Starter

I am trying to find out about BIOS for a test. Thank you for the site info.

6. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

This might also help:

- Look at the BIOS banner on the screen during bootup, as Triple 6 suggested. In addition to all the other info, there is usually a long alphanumeric string separated by periods. This is an Intel BIOS version ID string (Dell motherboards are OEMed from Intel). Note that the BIOS images available on Intel's website should NOT be used in Dell systems.

- Look in the CMOS setup screen. Most Dell's provide at least some BIOS version info here.

- Use a software utility to show the BIOS version. The DOS version of Hwinfo works quite well for this. The Microsft Diagnostic Utility (MSD) will often provide some additional BIOS info. Both are best run after booting from a floppy. Hwinfo also provides a lot of other hardware details.

These utilities will also show the core BIOS OEM, version and release date, usually Phoenix for the Dell systems.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice