1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS versus Hard Disk Upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sonyguy68, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonyguy68

sonyguy68 Thread Starter

I have a Sony PCG-505GX laptop. I've changed the OS from Windows 98 to 98SE. I've upgraded the RAM from 32 MByte to 96 MByte. And I just replaced the original 2 GByte hard drive with a new 20 GByte drive. My problem/question is how do I get the BIOS to recognize the new drive? The BIOS (Phoenix R0106R5) is currently limiting the size of the drive to 8.5 GByte, and there seems to be no way to edit the size parameter. I'd obviously like to employ the entire 20 GByte of the new drive. What should I do? Thanks.

2. pinntech

pinntech

The best way to get the full drive is to flash the BIOS. Check the manufacturer website for a BIOS upgrade.

There is a different way of doing it, but I definitely do not recommend using it. That would be to find out if the drive manufacturer (20GB drive) has a drive overlay program that will allow the OS to read the full drive size. This is highly "unrecommended".

Shane

3. sonyguy68

sonyguy68 Thread Starter

Pinntech,
    Thanks for the quick response. I've checked a few websites (e.g., Sony, Phoenix) but haven't located a suitable BIOS update. Do you have any suggestions about where I should look?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Phoenix BIOS is probably too old to support a hard drive with a capacity over 8.4 GB, and there probably isn't a BIOS upgrade available. I had this same problem with my HP Pavilion 8160, which had Phoenix BIOS version 4.06.

5. pinntech

pinntech

Sonyguy68...

I just contact Sony Support for you. Here is a transcription of our chat. I think you will get a kick out of it. Their answer is NO! No BIOS update available.

......Here is the transcription.......

user Shane has entered room

analyst Ferguson_ has entered room

Ferguson_> Welcome to Sony Online Support. I will be glad to assist you.

Ferguson_> Hello, Shane.

Shane> Thank you very much. Hi.

Shane> I just searched the sony support site for a BIOS update for the PCG505GX, but cannot find one anywhere. Any suggestions? Do you have a link?

Ferguson_> http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCG505GX

Ferguson_> I will forward a page where you can view all the available updates for the Notebook.

Ferguson_> Please click on the link to view the page.

Ferguson_> Are you able to view the page?

Shane> Yes, I can view the page, but do not see a BIOS flash for it anywhere.

Ferguson_> The BIOS update for the Notebook is currently not available. I suggest that you bookmark the page and try visiting the page at a later time for the update that may be available.

Shane Moore> I don't think that will work. It is a pretty old notebook. Do you think that the updates might have been removed and no longer updated?

Shane> Is there anyway of getting the LAST BIOS update that was created for that notebook?

Ferguson_> You can reset the BIOS to default settings by following the steps given in the article below.

Ferguson_> http://iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponse.asp?id=105377

Ferguson_> Please click on the link to view the page.

Shane> Well, that is not what I meant. I don't want to RESET the BIOS. I need the file to flash the BIOS with. It is an old notebook, so I am assuming you guys no longer have the files online. I need the BIOS "flash" file.

Ferguson_> Please stay online.

Shane> okay, thank you.

Ferguson_> What is the Operating System in your Computer?

Shane> Windows 98.

Shane> 98 SE that is.

Ferguson_> May I know why do you need the BIOS update?

Shane> Sure, looking to see if it will support a larger drive, above 7.8GB.

Shane> No problems with the operating system. Just need a larger drive installed.

Ferguson_> VAIO notebooks that ship with an internal hard drive are not designed to be removable by the end user and our service centers do not offer a hard drive upgrade program.

Ferguson_> Although third-party vendors or servicers may state the availability of internal hard drive models that are compatible with our systems, Sony does not support, or provide any assistance for these drives or their installation.

Ferguson_> I suggest that you opt for an external Harddrive.

Shane> I am not asking SONY to support them. I am just looking to see if you have an updated BIOS that supports a disk larger than 7.8GB which is the current limitation of the BIOS.

Shane> Nope, that is like suggesting I buy a CRT monitor for it. More stuff to lug around.

Ferguson_> The update you have requested is not available online.

Shane> Is it really that hard to say whether or not you have a BIOS flash file somewhere that can be provided to me or not?

Shane> Does the last statement mean, if it is not online, you don't have one?

Ferguson_> I can understand your concern Shane. However, the update for BIOS you have requested is not available.

Shane> Thank you. That is all I wanted to know. Have a good one.

Ferguson_> Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance and have a Great Day.

...... end of transcription .......

Amazing what one has to go through to get a NO answer, huh?

Only other thing, would be to see if the manufacturer of the drive has a drive overlay like OnTrack. Unless you are lucky enough to find someone that has the BIOS update stored on a computer somewhere that you can have sent to you.

Sorry, but I tried.

Shane

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What brand is the new hard disk?

7. sonyguy68

sonyguy68 Thread Starter

To Shane: Thanks for the effort on my behalf -- I went through the same excruciating experience in the Sony chat room with analyst Debra -- 20 minutes to get a NO. I shouldn't get greedy -- I now have 6 GByte more disk space than before, but I'd like to use the entire 20 GByte.

To Johnwill: the new drive is a Toshiba MK2105MAT.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've been told that this older version of MaxBlast will allow you to install the drive, even though it's not a Maxtor. Might be worth a look. It's on Driver Guide and requires a free registration.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice