1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios video setting with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hansjurg, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hansjurg

Hansjurg Thread Starter

I have an Intel mother board with onboard video. In getting ready to install my new pci-E video card, I checked BIOS settings and noted IGD DVMT memory and also aperture size. (These are for use of regular memory for the onboard video). Also the video select is set to auto for both primary video adaptor and to auto instead of pci-e and pci graphics.

I will insert the new video card, powerup and disable the onboard video through device manager.

When I insert the new video card and powerup, will the "software" disable the two IGD settings?

2. Sharma7

Sharma7

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about but this is what happens:
    1. You install the new graphics card
    2. You start the computer
    3. Computer recognizes new graphics card and disables onboard (in certain motherboards onboard and pci-e can run at the same time).
    4. You install drivers
    5. Voila! Your graphics card will work

Sorry if this is not what you wanted, but you don't usually have to worry about anything else.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Software rarely affects anything in BIOS. You will still need to use system memory for your card, and the more you can give for texture memory ("aperture"), the better, so long as you have enough that it doesn't affect system operation.

You should select the card that you want to use in BIOS when you reboot. It is also better to disable the onboard through BIOS (if there is an option), or, sometimes with a board jumper. But leave the old one enabled in Windows until you get the new one up and running, with the latest drivers installed. If you need to get back into Windows with the old graphics, it will still work.

You may actually need to make the BIOS changes with the old connector and then switch to the new one.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

On most later Intel boards you don't have to do anything after installing a PCIe card the motherboard automatically selects the highest of the hierarchy of graphics devices installed and assigns it as the primary device.

Your board is not a standard Intel board it is a Gateway proprietary board with a Gateway proprietary BIOS. Follow the instructions provided by Gateway for graphics card installation.

5. dai

dai

what model video card

power supply

brand
    model
    wattage

usually video upgrades and psu upgrades go hand in hand

6. Hansjurg

Hansjurg Thread Starter

Dai,
    Graphics board: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 Video Card 1 GB, DDR2 PCI-E 2, SLi Support Dual link, Dual DVI, HDTV VGA

PSU Diablotek 400 W (don't have model #) purchased w assistance of Tiger Direct. It works in current system (w/o new card installed). Video card requires minimum of 350w. Original was 306w, thus the change.

MotherBoard: Intel D915GSE

Note: BIOS settings set to auto for location of video chipset.
    Later this week (I teach college and classes will give uninterrupted time for computer work) I will 1.)power down, 2.)insert new card; 3.) connect monitor to new card; 4.) power up;5) if I can see on monitor, will disable old video through device manager;6.) and then install new drivers. Hope this sequence sounds logical. Comments?

7. dai

dai

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

A minimum of 350, but that does not include what you should have if you use any powered peripherals or have any added drives. 400 watts is cutting it very close and it may not even be enough to power your system. Even if it is, running a PSU close to its capacity means it won't last long.

You should have 500+. I'm using 750 w for a 9800GTX.

9. dai

dai

it's amps not watts that are the key

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Same measure. The voltage is constant, so when watts go up, amps go up. It is 2 ways of saying the same thing. They don't sell PSU's by amps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice