1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios/windows setup can't detect m.2 ssd

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Strozy, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strozy

Strozy Thread Starter

I decided to format my hd and put my windows onto my m.2 ssd (which was detected by Windows computer manager) but when it came to wanting to instal windows, it only gave me my hd as an option same with my bios. I've tried restarting my MB and looking through bios but no option for an M.2 configuration.
    I'm not sure if you guys could help me out on this one but any help is good.

Asus z97-A MB
    WD 1tb blue
    WD NVMe PCIe 250 GB black ssd 3rd gen
    4790k chipset

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have an obsolete motherboard and it is not as simple as insert M.2 and install. There are some things that need to be done first. One is a bios update to support M.2 drives and second you need to read and follow this guide;
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...05967/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html
    Once you do all of that, you should be able to install on a M.2.

Do understand that this requires a medium level of skill since you have to load the intel M.2 driver during setup. Be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk. The only way I ever update a bios on an asus board is by using EZFlash which is a utility built into the bios. I never update from within windows.

One other item. When doing an install on a M.2 type of drive, pull the pw connectors from all other hard drives prior to starting the install process. Win10 setup will install the boot files to the first drive ie on sata0 or 1 depending on how the mfg labels sata ports. With the pw connectors pulled, setup has no choice other than to install all files to the M.2 drive.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice