1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS Wont Boot From CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AdrianClarke, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke Thread Starter

Hey there.

I'm trying to reformat my friends computer and i'm running into some serious problems.

Basically :

My friend has TONS of viruses and spyware (even got a call from provider threating to cut off the internet) and basically wants a reformat.

Now I have the XP CD in and go into the BIOS and change the boot setup to CDROM --> HDD (It won't lemme actually put my boot menu in my own order, just from "Basic" Which is HDD --> CDROM and "advance" which is CDROM --> HDD)

Now I did not get ANY message saying "hit any key to boot from CD"

As well, I hit F10 for Boot Menu and choose the CD ROM and still nothing happens and it continues to load from the HDD.

Now when i'm actually in XP, it's funny, I look at the CD ROM drive in My Computer, and even though the XP disk is there, it shows NOTHING on the disk, it doesn't read it (and it worked before), I try to populate the drive, and I get nothing.

I have reformatted this computer before and it was easy, now, the 2nd time, it seems impossible.

Any Tips?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can My Computer 'see' other CD's ?

When it powers up is the CD drive detected and shown on-screen ?

3. tony007

tony007 Banned

Download killdisk http://www.killdisk.com/ do a low level format and then reinstall the operating system put the killdisk cd in as you boot up.

4. AdrianClarke

She says the CD Drive can't read anything.
    The CD Drive is detected under My Computer, but thats about it.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

By any chance are there 2 cd drives? If yes, did you try the other one?

6. AdrianClarke

Nope, just one drive.

7. djangojazz

djangojazz

Dumb question: Does the Cd tray read disks at all? IE: Can you confirm a video game, backup, anything.... will work on the drive? My cd drive is old, sometimes it won't read disks because the laser is lazy to move. I don't really care, because I have a 2nd optical drive I use.

If the cd drive isn't reading no matter what disk or program you use on disk it doesn't matter if it's not accessing it. If that is the case I believe you can get external drives that you may still boot from or you should have an option to boot from network on mostly every BIOS I have ever seen and in theory should allow you access to an attached optical drive.

If it does work and you firmly erased the HDD and it isn't giving you hardly any boot options, check the make of the BIOS, see if their is an update from the vendor that would indicate more functionality or boot options and then flash the BIOS(change the instructions of what you are seeing).

{edit} Generally in situations like this where something that you deem should be working isn't, it's good to have a 2nd computer if possible to show you what's the variable that isn't working.

8. AdrianClarke

The CD Tray does not read ANYTHING. It stopped reading anything after the computer got infested with all that crap.

My next step is to try that, I wanted to see what I could do before removing things in the desktop, the thing is, its a crappy machine and from what I've seen in the BIOS, it does not let you boot from USB, so wouldn't using an external drive be out of the question?

Yeah, that would probably have to be my last resort, but what is mind-boggling is the fact that I have reformatted this computer before, the exact same way I was going to do it again, except this time, it's not working the way it should be.

And yeah, I, myself own 3 Computers (2 Desktops & 1 Laptop) as well as another laptop on the way. This is a friend of mine who is literally computer illerate so they only had a need for 1 computer.

9. djangojazz

djangojazz

Don't know a straight answer for that sorry. Different BIOS options in my experience do things differently from Intel to Phoenix to Dell to HP. How an external drive reads I wouldn't know. I know I have loaded things for drivers during installs from an external HDD during Vista installs. But never for an external optical, sorry but I like to be sure but on this I know in theory I've heard it works but never personally did it.

It sounds like the CD drive is busted, when hardware changes BIOS can only do so much. It's the physical drive that's the problem either the person needs to buy a new one or live without one while they have the system. I do know I personally had my optical once bust while doing this and I replaced it in the past with a new drive, BIOS recognized it automatically before I even messed with the OS and then reinstalled windows. You can't install Windows unless you have an optical drive or you have a network installation available on a shared drive or media accessible. The latter of that would mean again an external optical or if not an image of windows installation files on a RIS(remote installation server) locale as well. You probably do not need to go through the trouble of RIS for a friend's system so I would say buy a new drive or a new machine at that point. What is the cost versus buying one thing for the time the machine will still last or is it time for an upgrade to a better machine? It's up to you or your friend.

{edit}By the way CD drives are what you need for installing a windows XP OS. It's under 700 megs, I think, and that is CD only not a DVD like Vista. Generally drives in this range can be as cheap as $10 on ebay or go up to $40 at a store but that's not that bad compared to buying a whole new machine for like $300 for something cheap as crap made in China of refurbished everything or $800 for something decent. So even if you don't have much cash you can usually scrounge up enough for a new optical drive and putting one in is very easy. It's just aligning the pins right to hook the big IDE cable in right, and connecting the power cable to it to give it juice and making sure the jumpers are set to "cable selected"(little plastic casing you'll barely notice set in place, most of the time you can forget them and it won't even matter) in mostly 95% of cases and that in BIOS it's still reading it. 80% of computer failures are users or viruses/spyware/spybots and the other 18% are faulty hardware.

10. AdrianClarke

Well she's apart of that 80%, I can tell you that much.

I will probably get her a DVD drive from Tigerdirect, hopefully, that'll fix the problem, if not, I will just replace the HDD.

Thanks alot guys, i'll keep it posted

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!