Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bios won't load

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Hello,

I write this thread with a hope of getting assistance from you guys. Let me briefly explain the situation:

I have gotten my hands on a new hard drive so I thought I would try to install Linux (Fedora 28) as Dual boot with Windows 10. This was my HDD setup at the time:
SSD - Win 10
HDD1 - Data
HDD2 - Empty

I have proceeded with creating a usb bootable drive with an .iso image to install from. Installation went fine, I created a partition on HDD2 which i selected during the installation. After installation finished, I rebooted the PC but it went straight to Windows. I rebooted into Bios, checked boot order but i couldn't see the Linux drive in there. I have proceeded with setting grub as the default bootloader in windows as advised here:
https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

This time, I got 2 choice after reboot, and both were Fedora. I chose one of them, but it went straight to Windows again. This time, after I rebooted, all i got was a black screen. And this persists. I am aware that I have someone screwed up my system files. I have tried almost everything. Here is my setup:

MB: MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
PSU: Seasonic SS-620GM2 Evo 620W

Now, the things I've tried:
1) Pressing all kinds of buttons during boot, but keyboard nor mouse wont even light up
2) Remove all HDD/SSD and boot
3) Restart CMOS - remove battery, short JBAT1
4) Remove one of the RAM slots
Motherboard 2digit display keeps looping codes.

I am really desperate, do you guys have any additional suggestions?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like there it has somehow developed a hardware problem somewhere. I'd take it back down to bare bones on a table. Nothing but motherboard (on a non-conductive surface), CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse.

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

Now try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight.

If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight.

If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

#4 ·
Something may be shorted, askew, broken, unplugged, flaky, dead etc. And one of the easiest ways of locating the problem is to start back at a barebones setup and then build from there.

#10 ·
This is the fundamental mistake when trying to setup a dual boot with windows, where windows is the primary OS. This is a beginners/novice mistake that happens all the time. Once the dual boot is setup the GRUB overrides (gets installed on the C drive) the MBR and since you manually set the GRUB as default, you may have lost your windows installation all together. You may need to do a clean install of windows.

I would remove the HDD that the Linux distro is on and try booting up into windows. If that fails, you'll need to run a linux live CD/USB and follow this link: http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/09/05/how-to-delete-grub-files-from-a-boot-efi-partition-in-windows-10/
This should remove the GRUB and get your windows up and running.

What happens with a dual boot setup is that the GRUB is installed on the C drive by default and this is where all the issues arise from for most beginners. What you should really do is, is a multi boot setup. Where each OS is installed on a separate drive, while any other drives in the system are unplugged (SATA/DATA cables removed). Then when the 2nd OS is installed and verified that it's working, shut down and reattach cables for the rest of the drives. Your C drive will boot automatically, by default. To boot to the 2nd OS restart and tap the F12 key at post beep. This by passes the the BIOS and takes you striaght into the boot menu. Select the drive you want to boot from and hit enter. It's a much better way to have multiple OS's installed. No chance of MBR and GRUB being intertwined on the same drive.

#11 ·
That is definitely all true bassfisher6522. The problem right now though is the computer will not even allow the OP into the BIOS ... a-n-d the "Motherboard 2digit display keeps looping codes." This will surely need to be rectified before trying to resolve an Operating System problem.

If the hardware is not 100% reliable, the software running on it can never be.

#14 ·
Yes, it could be the PSU (Power Supply Unit), or motherboard, or some other component, or combination of components. Hard to tell from here.

What are the codes the motherboard is trying to tell you? If multiple codes, sit and watch for a bit and jot down each unique code. Now look one of the codes in the motherboard manual and resolve that particular problem. Then on to the next code, then the next, etc., etc.

Let us know what you find out ...

#16 ·
Liz, you're post set me thinking.

razzex, try the keyboard in a Usb 2.0 slot (black inside) and if that doesn't work try to get a PS/2 keyboard and see if that lets you get into the Bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.