1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios won't read Hard Drive. DISK BOOT FAILURE.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themann, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. themann

themann Thread Starter

Today when I started up my computer it would not start up.

It will always give the error. DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I open the bios and it reads neither my SATA 500GB seagate hard drive or my IDE DVD Drive. I'm pretty sure my hard drive is not dead because the computer was custom built about 6 months ago and the harddrive is pretty new.

The only thing that was done before the computer stopped working was my friend tried to put in his external hard drive (no idea what kind) and it wouldn't install via plug n play so we gave up. Could his external really have messed my bios and/or hard drive up?

Main thing I did to try and fix this was remove the CMOS battery to reset the bios but that didnt help either.

Specs for my computer are.

Core Duo Processor 2.66GHz, 6AMB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz

4gb of ram

Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Motherboard.

PLZ help :(

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to do;

1 Open the case and check/reseat all connections for the drive.
    2 Pw ON the system and enter the bios. Load optimized defaults; save settings and restart.
    3 If it still does not detect the drive, try another sata port and a different pw connector.
    4 If it still is not detected, your drive has failed.

3. jagosn

jagosn

second option would be to boot from your windows cd and select recovery console. go through the steps until you come to a command line and try "fix boot" at the prompt. reset

4. themann

themann Thread Starter

I did all of this and its still not detecting the drive. Are you sure its a drive failure? How can this just happen seemingly at random? Also is there anyway to restore my files from the drive?

I want to do this. Unfortunately I don't have access to a windows CD at the moment. When I get one I'll try this and get back to you.

If anyone else knows something that could be done please tell

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the bios does not detect the drive, this is not going to accomplish anything. The RC will not see the drive either.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hard drives fail. It is only a question of when it will fail. That is why we stress backups so much. With an image backup of your drive, you simply install a new drive and restore the image; done.

As to whether or not you can recover your files, it depends on how much money you want to spend. Data recovery when the drive is not detected can run into the hundreds of dollars.

7. themann

themann Thread Starter

Ouch. Doesn't seem worth it then. :(

But do u think u have an idea of what caused it to fail? Like I said earlier, the Hard Drive is only about six months old. Also the Bios doesn't always read my dvd drive either.

8. Spandexer

Spandexer

IF your hard drive has NOT mechanically failed, you can probably get your files off by slaving the drive into another PC. It should show up as another drive letter and you'll be able to copy or move important files over to a flashdrive, CD or one of that PC's other drives. You've got nothing to lose by trying. Good luck, amigo.

9. parasolution

parasolution

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I had several hard drives connected and sometimes they would disappear (not in windows, nor in BIOS), the same would happen with the DVD drive. I removed the drives from my PC and connected them to another PC to check its integrity, each time they came away with a clean bill of health from either windows utilities or through the disk manufacturers testing programs.

I ended up changing the power supply on my PC as it was severely underpowered. The problem never again appeared. Not saying thats your problem, but maybe worth a look.

If you can connect the drives to another box and see if you pull the data off and then check the integrity of the drives.

I purchased this a few years ago:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189169

It's been a lifesaver. Never thought I would use it as much as I have, makes it easy to connect a drive to a PC or laptop to move files or check the drive for errors.

10. themann

themann Thread Starter

Yea I guess I'll try the drive in another PC. Hopefully my other PC's are SATA compatible

Power Supply could be a good thing to check as our problems do seem very simiar. And I thin I'll buy one of those ASAP or something similar. Thanks.

11. parasolution

parasolution

BTW, I didn't buy the one that I showed in the link. Just used that one as an example.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice