1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BIOS won't recognize cd & cdrw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel Davis, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis Thread Starter

I have a 533mhz Celeron-mmx system with 512megs sdram running Award PNP BIOS Extension v 1.0a. When it boots up, I can freeze the screen and see that it recognizes both the Phillips CDRW as secondary master...and the Toshiba CDROM as secondary slave. On the second black and white screen prior to win98se coming up...it says:

Sec. Master Disk: CDROM, Mode 4
    Sec. Slave Disk: CDROM, Mode 3

However...when I run the CMOS setup and have it try to recognize my IDE devices...it sees both my 15gig hard drives...
    but neither the cdrom or cdrw. At the far left of the screen...it says "!Y"..then a bunch of zeros...then "NORMAL" on the right. Is this what it's supposed to be doing?

Is the system seeing the secondary IDE devices..and Win98se failing (which seems to be the case to me) or the other way around?

2. slipe

slipe

Is Windows Explorer and device manager not showing any CD drives? Have you never been able to use the drives? What have you changed if they just recently disappeared?

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

the cmos setup won't display your cd roms. That is normal.

Once you exit out of the bios, the computer restarts and the bios autodetects them just like you said.

There is nothing to config for the cdroms in the bios besides it's ide channel on/off and dma settings, or having the cdrom in the boot sequence.

do the drives not work properly.? What do you need to do with them?

4. Daniel Davis

Forgot the following detail...

I had a zip 250 on the secondary ide channel. I think it was the master...and the cdrom the slave. I removed the zip...and replaced it with the cdrw...and left the cdrom as slave. Prior to all this...both cdrom and zip were recognized.

I tried "add new hardware"..but it found nothing.

5. Daniel Davis

don't know what happened. I booted several times and it wouldn't recognize. You left a note...and bam..it worked. It must have feared you.

6. Daniel Davis

don't know what happend. Booted up and it worked this time. Duh.

7. slipe

slipe

I don’t think any of us ever had a real handle on the original problem but I’m glad it sorted itself out. Get back if they disappear again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice