1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bios wont save "auto" setting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shacky, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shacky

shacky Thread Starter

I have a al440lx board that I have been using on and off for a couple of years. Recently, I decided I would do some upgrading on the computer and use it. I had taken out the hard drive because I thought I might use it on my main system but changed my mind and am looking to put it back in and get the system up and running.

The problem is that I get a "cant find operating system" error. That's no suprise because when you go into setup the primary master, primary slave, secondary master and secondary slave, are all set to "none." Here's the problem, when I change the setting to "auto" it wont save it. In fact, I can change it to any of the other choices and it wont save it. I have tried scrolling to auto and use the esc key and the change isn't there. I tried doing the same but hitting F10 to save and exit and that doesnt work either. I even tried to restore system defaults but I still get "none."

Any ideas on how I can get the "auto" setting to stick?

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

There's a couple of thing s to try. First, find the jumper on tne MOBO and clear the CMOS then set the Primary Master to Auto. If that doesn't work and provided that you did not make any changes to the hard drive after you removed it, ie: installed it in another machine thus changing its parameters, select "user" or something similar in the CMOS and manually enter the info from the hard drive (Cylinders, Sectors, etc.) You will notice that in this field there are more fields listed than information that is listed on the Hard Drive. Just enter the information available.... the other fields will complete automatically from the parameters you enter. Once complete. save and exit, then reboot. Let us know how you do. Good luck! KW1

3. shacky

shacky Thread Starter

I was attempting to put the hd in a different computer but when it asked me if I wanted to make changes to it, I decided not to do it. It was several months ago, so my memory is a little unclear. I was under the impression that even if there were no devices connected you should still be able to change the settings to "auto". True?

Also, sorry for my ignorance but if you still think your original advice is valid, given what I said above, could you describe with a little more detail how to clear the cmos?

Thanks!

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Following the instructions for manually defining the hard drive should work. As for the clearing the CMOS, on the mother board there should be a jumper marked CMOS (probably a 3-pin combination with a small plastic jumper between two of the pins. To clear the CMOS move the jumper from say 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 for about 30 seconds, then replace it to the original configuration. If you have the manual that came with the system it should show you where the jumper is located. If you can't find the jumper, you can simply remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds, then replace it. You can tell if you successfully cleared the CMOS if you have to reset the time, etc. in setup. PLEASE NOTE: BE SURE THAT THE POWER IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE COMPUTER BEFORE FOLLOWING THESE STEPS. Let us know how you do. KW1

5. shacky

shacky Thread Starter

thanks again for your help. I'll try it tonight when the kids are in bed!

6. shacky

shacky Thread Starter

Got it working. Thanks for the help!

7. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Glad you got it working. shacky. Please post how you resolved it so other members might benefit form it. Thanks, KW1

8. shacky

shacky Thread Starter

I went into setup and chose "user". I entered the info and everything worked fine. If that didn't work I was going to follow the instructions on clearing the cmos, but it did and works great now. Still not sure why I couldn't get "auto" to stay selected but everything works so I'm not messing with it.

Thanks again....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice