1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ecko69x, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

I have a Gigabyte motherboard (GA-890GPA-UD3H) and seem to have a problem entering BIOS. I press the DEL key and also tried holding it down, but it ignores the command. Is there a way to force BIOS to open every time I restart?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I think some Gigabyte boards use F2 instead of DEL. Also be sure you are using a PS2 keyboard rather then USB.

You can also try clearing the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard as that should force you to have to enter the BIOS and hopefully also restore normal access.

However, you forgot the most critical part of the information, you completely neglected to tell us the exact model of the motherboard in question.

Also, I've moved this to the "Hardware" section as that is the proper fit for it rather then "All other software"

3. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

The motherboard is GA-890GPA-UD3H. I'm not sure how I would go about clearing the CMOS. Never done that.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Try tapping the DEL key repeatedly as soon as you power on.

5. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Your board uses the DELete key to enter the BIOS setup. I know you pressed it, and held it down. But you did not say when! you have a very finite period of time from power on to hit that key. Triple6 advice is always on target - maybe another keyboard?
    On to the CMOS clearing.
    Lets call the Top half of your board the processor half
    and the bottom half is the other half
    Lets' have power turned off and cord unplugged too...
    to the right of the PCIEX1 slots (thoses 2 tiny ones) in the middle of the bottom half of your board
    There is a round CMOS Battery, and beside it a CMOS Jumper connection.
    The Connection is OPEN - there is a jumper, but it does not connect both pins.
    you can clear the CMOS by installing that jumper for a few seconds, or by removing the battery for a few seconds.
    Do not leave that jumper connecting both pins when you restart the computer. It will not break it, but you will never save settings if it is connected.
    Plug it back in, turn it on, and you should be entering the BIOS setup straight away.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!