Bios

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tim97

Having trouble with my sound card. I have a compaq 1200XL500.
Upgraded from Windows ME to Win2000. The driver is there but know sound will come out. I uninstalled the driver, while it was reinstalling the driver, it popped up saying that the card had been turned off in the bios, is there any way to access the bios.

Please help
Thanks Tim

Brooks

The bios key for a Compaq is f10. Most Compaqs boot with a white screen with Compaq in red. Press the f10 key during this process.

Tim97

Thanks for the reply, I tried that, but is does not offer many options. Everything looks right, when I go to the control panel, and go to sounds, and try to play a sound, It looks like it is playing it, but know sound comes out. The driver that I have is a
(VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim97

Already downloaded the softpaq, Thats how I got the driver, I upgraded a friends computer, over the weekend, and the sound driver was not there, so I copy the softpaq from my compter to his, and it worked. Don't understand. Do you think that it might be a hardware problem. I called compaq, and said that I would have to restore, my computer to the way it was when I bought it. Really hate to do that, because I will loose all my info. Do you think that I would be able to open my laptop up and be able to see if something is wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Brooks

I would not try and open it up. I doubt that you could see if anything was wrong and you can totally kill the laptop if some of the ribbon cables are damaged. They are more delicate than the ones in desktops.

Have you tried to do a delete of sound card in the hardware wizard and then rebooting to see if 2000 will pick up the sound card?

If you decide to do a complete re-install of 2000, I would suggest backing up your data and then doing a format of the drive.

Tim97

Yea, I have formatted the drive several times, I just got it back running good. I have uninstalled the drive, and it finds it, so I install the driver. everything is there, just donsn't play the sound. It looks like it is playing it but nothing comes out. don't understand.

Max19

Account Disabled
The only definitive way to determine if the problem is software or hardware related is to restore the computer using the restore CD as Compaq suggested. Back up all your data before doing that. Then you're not actually losing anything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online