1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bios

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chart16, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chart16

Chart16 Thread Starter

I have a 1.2Ghz AMD Athlon T-bird. I run a 512Mb 133MHz SDRAM chip. It has an integrated 128-bit AGP Graphics Accelerator with a 100MHz Host Interface, and provides an optional 4X AGP slot. This on-board G.A. uses shared memory which allows up to 64MB main memory to act as the frame buffer. It also has a VGA port.

My problem is I own a Rage Furry Maxx graphics card from ATI. Unfortunately this model has encountered problems ATI didn't expect and stupid me bought it. Well the problems are that it doesn't like any system using over 512MB of RAM. I have 512. I fortunately fixed that in that System Configuration Editor by setting the max/min for the (vcache). Another problem is that is doesn't like the 1.35V that slot puts out on newer computers. I have no idea if mine does or not but I am pretty sure it doesn't.

Basicaly my computer doesn't seem to like that card. I have done everythign I can think of to fix this problem. I don't want an expensive graphics card go to waist. I know that I must change the AGP slot from a 4X to a 2X because that is what is required from Rage Furry Maxx. Another thing is in the bios it only recognizes the on-board AGP and PCI slots and not the extra VGA port. I need to also aptersize the AGP to 256. Can anyone tell me how to change this in the Bios. I need to update it but I don't know how to run the Rom thing to do it. Plus in the Bios it doesn't even give me those options to change... Can someone help. Sorry so lengthy. oh yes I run win98 for my o/s.

2. deanas

deanas

Is there a new driver for the card on
    the manufacturers site?
    The other option is some bios can be
    updated with what is called flashing the
    bios. You need to go to the manufacturer
    of the mother board and see if this is possible
    and if there is an update.

3. brianF

brianF

I would think the options for agp aperture size and agp 4x/2x enable disable would be in your bios. It maybe the options are not available with the onboard chip enabled.

If you havent' done it yet, you will need to diable the onboard chip, install the new card, boot and enter bios.

Find the field for agp aperture size and change to the desired amount of memory use.
    There should also be a selection for agp4x enable/disabled.

Being you probably running a via chipset you may need to reinstall the via 4 in 1 drivers after installing the card to get all of the options for the card.

4. Chart16

Chart16 Thread Starter

My system runs the AMI Bios utility V1.21.04. I have tried disabling the on-board AGP in my bios and then installing the card. This does nothing for it only give the alternative of PCI. Even then with that I could not find anything that partains to the AGP apetersize or disabling the 4X. For some reason my bios system won't give me those options. I have look everywhere. My only alternative was to download the update from the manufacturer. I got the update assuming it's an update but I have no idea of how to install it in my bios cause I know it's not easy to change data in the bios. It's a .rom file. Any other ideas? At this point I am rather frustrated at both my computer, and ATI for developing such a falting graphics card. :confused:
    I have also downloaded the newest drivers for my graphics card and the newest DirectX driver all the other specified stuff it needed.

5. deanas

deanas

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice