1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

biosctl.exe on bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stumpie, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stumpie

stumpie Thread Starter

Hi,

The OS here is XP Pro on a homebrew pentium motherboard.

The other day I downloaded a Turbo Tax update onto another computer where I keep all my personal stuff. I'm not blaming TT, but I suffered a major crap attack. That computer is accessable by dial up but generally is kept off-line for security reasons. I came in here and retreived copies of Adaware and Spybot S&D and loaded them on the other computer. After running both a couple of times, I finally got rid of this garbage, but I get a new error message on bootup.

The error message says:

C:\windows\UI\biosctl.exe
    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

The system file is not suitable for ms dos and microsoft windows apps. Choose close to terminate.

This error only happens on bootup and goes away when I click on close.

Anyone have a fix for this?

I appreciate any help. I can easily fix stuff in command line dos, but XP is fairly new to me and I don't know what editing the startup menu or the registry will lead to. You know - the theory of unintended consequences.

Thanks

Cheers!

Paul

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

3. stumpie

stumpie Thread Starter

Thanks. That worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Paul

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice