1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bioshock - Bad demo and bad DRM

Discussion in 'Games' started by Compiler, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

Bioshock has received many great reviews - the trailers/TV ads looks quite good... and its using the new Unreal3 Engine....

So far, I am not impressed with a game that can't even start.

First, I have downloaded two different versions of an Offical Demo from reputable websites... Each version is 1.9GB in size! For such a well funded game and lots of TV marketing (Unreal has never been on TV) - the first DEMO creates a crappy game setup folder like this:

<drive>:\BioShock_PC_Demo_FF\raid10\temp\manager\nfdekpwgaj\BioShock PC Demo

WHAT IS THIS GARBAGE?! Unprofessional... Anyways, near the end of the install, the Windows Installer window POPS up, showing various optional instructions you could choose - for the Installer - means nothing.... only OKAY button is available anyways. The game says its installed. Click on the ICON and wow, an error pops up saying:

''This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstall the application may fix this problem''

I redownloaded a version from the offical site, the installer is not 5 sub-folders deep, but the game still refuses to run.... a lot of people are having this same problem.

So after 4GB of Downloads, 4 installs... this "cool" game is useless.

Next... This game has severe DRM... you are allowed ONLY 2 installs of the game. After that, your disc that you paid $50 is dead. Well, you can UNINSTALL the game and regain your "credit" - but this is very limiting and of course... THIS DOESN'T ALWaYS WORK. Here is a video review of this garbage: http://www.twitchguru.com/site/flash_videos/second_take_the_bioshock_drm_problem.html

Image... after perhaps a few years - you'll have a useless game disc. What can happen? Your Hard drive can die - which won't allow you to UNINSTALL the game. YOu upgrade, forget to remove the old version or who knows... this kind of problems only hurt the people who actually buy the game, not the pirates.

The demo problem... especially a giant 2GB file and punishment to its customers; makes me want to pocket my $50~60 for something else... perhaps wait till its in the $20 bin and several patches or etc.

Of course, I look forward to UT3 and was hoping to get an idea how well the game may run on my hardware with BioShock.
    :mad:

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I downloaded (2 hours!) that demo. Took longer to figure out what to click to get it to run than to download. Played with it for about and hour and decided that I should not have wasted 4 hours of my time!. It's getting great press but I found it sorely lacking in playability and graphics. Hope everyone else enjoys it though.

3. Whiteninja89

Whiteninja89

I bought this game the day it came out and unlike others, I was able to install and activate just fine. The problem I have is that when starting the game, I can hear that sound windows makes when you plug in new hardware (like a usb stick).
    I can also hear it when changing resolutions. After attempting to exit the game, it locks up and I have to force-quit it. Then my res is locked to 1440x900 (the one I had in game) Usually windows lets me change it back no prob, but for some reason it forced me to reboot.
    I'm thinking this might have something to do with that securrom thing. Why couldnt they have just did what Oblivion had, a simple cd check?

4. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

I was even reading on the 2K Bioshock Support forum... a lot of posts... dozens of pages already for a 2~3 day old game.

Its actually kind of rare when a game that is hyped-up, and gets good reviews - crashes and burns in real-life due to technical/company screw ups. The reviewers may get a special version (I expect) - well advanced of the public, so when the DRM kicks in - the game shows problems. Hmmm, there was another game like that - I forgot what it was, its anti-piracy software just destoryed. The old game, Crimson Skies from 2000 was sanked by severe software problems on its release... I bought that game when it came out myself and luckily I was able to get CompUSA to give me my money back (I think a lot of people had problems) - for days I couldn't get it to run. It was start, crash on menu, not load, etc. Here is the funny thing (which is kind of the norm) the entire development staff went on vacation after the game's release - so for 2-4 weeks, nobody was home to FIX the problems. By the time they fixed (2 months later) the damage was done. I never re-bought the game, but I've played it on someone elses computer for a few levels - fun game. But I never repurchased the title. Another game that *I* could have bought, but the demo showed me problems (I think it was De Leux? by Bungie) was the developer thought they would FORCE their control settings onto the USER. Since the days of Unreal/Quake - it was known that for FPS games, the keyboard settings NEEDS to be user programmable. A lefthanded person may require different controls, or custom controller, or whatever prefernce the gamer wants. This game had akward controls that couldn't be changed. Story looked quite good and the graphics were very well done.
    I don't use the ASDW keys for movement Mouse 1/2 for firing. Hey Guys, why not use the moving mouse-thingy to control your movement!? Left button = forward, Right button = backward. I use mouse look to give me direction. Side-button for strafling if I need to.
    Ctrl / Shift keys for Fire, Alt for secondardy fire.

Bioshock looks so good, and quite different... I want to play it. But I'm not spending $50 on something that doesn't work or may NOT work in the future because of its DRM.

Alwrmc: What I've seen in video and screen-shots, Bioshock looks quite good. Performance issues can be effected by PC configurations. Unlike the xbox where each unit has a standard minim configuration. If the performance is low, it will effect playability and lower- graphic detail. Running IM, P2P or other tiny programs can effect game performance. The R x1600Pro is about the same as the 7600gs which is about half the performance of a 7600GT... and I'm concerned if the game will work well with what I have... until I get an 8800. I saw a guy post "People are saying my 7300Le is a junky card" - well, the 7300 is useless for gaming. The 7600gs is a lot better, but I don't think its enough to turn on all the eye-candy and get smoothe frame-rates. I have games that are finally killing my 7600GT.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

6. dts73

dts73

I downloaded the demo via steam and not had any issues with it. A mate of mine from work did the same yesterday and ,after playing it went and bought the full game after work today. He loves it. I was going to buy it myself as the demo looked incredible..

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

In my previous post #5 in this thread, Bioshock Isn't Installing a Rootkit, well the title was only "technically" correct.

It turns out that if you remove only one executable file from the Sony package and include malware with it - you get - a boneafide rootkit that hides the malware's folder! :eek:
    F-Secure article here.

-- Tom

8. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

Yep Yep...

2K, I think... is in BIG TROUBLE with the gamers. They are posting complaints about the SecureROM software. I of course had to go through and manually clean out the mess left from the demo. I hope SecureROM goes out of business...

Anyone else wants to screw with people's computers? If we can TANK BioShock, a game with a 9.5~10 score rating from every gaming site because of all stupid things 2K did to BioShock, it will be an important lesson for the industry to learn from.

M$ and other companies are trying to build up standards and better games for PC systems, this isn't the way to do it. Same with M$ and their lame HALO2 for PC game.

9. CCjon

CCjon

i think there's no way bioshock will tank because of the great reviews everywhere and its' great graphics.(Looks are,arguably,the most important part of most things in this world).The worse it can happen is that the game won't sell as well as expected.Also i think game companies should stop using this kind of stuff as somebody(ies)out will find a way to beat it no matter what kind of DRM u put in ur games.Face it.You can't beat the pirates.....EVER....:D

10. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

Its sales can be effected quite a bit. Crimson Skies bombed because it was a HYPED game that is FUN - and it bugs made the game unplayable.

A level of copy-protection is no big deal... but these companies have GOT TO STOP screwing with the game that effects the gaming experince with those who buy LEGIT copies. Doing things like Root-kits (or rootkit like), limited installs, severe crashing, very buggy demos....

Sierra did something many many years ago, angered a lot of people... including myself. I stopped buying their games, period. 2K games... I think they can go into that drawer of "do not buy products form this company". afterall, its the company that came up with this stupid idea to treat their "customers" like crimminals - well, then WE need to stop buying their games for this insult.

Look at the UT games of the past, early on they require the game CD (UT, UT2003, UT2004) - but after a year, they release their OWN patch that disables it. They made a certain amount of money and keeps their customers happy. In my book, having to require the CD anyways means *I* play the game less.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice