birthday warning

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

americamba

Hi,

There's gotta be a place in XP for me to get warnings of my mother in law's birthday and other events. I would like a warning to come up somehow on the date I set. thanks, Frank

do you have office? with outlook (not outlook express)? setting a calendar in there would be my first reaction.

But not Outlook as well? Have a look in your Office directory, if you have Office. Otherwise, there's a lot of freeware diary programs available on the web. I've never used any, so I can't be much help there. I really don't think there's anything in XP to do it by itself.

americamba

Thansk for your insistence. So assuming i have OUtlook as you suspect I do, (I will check real soon) how do I use it? Do I have to enter into it to get the messages? By running Outlook Express as my default mail client do I neutralize Outlook?? that is, will it still do its job without active checking on my part? that is what I have to avoid because it is the same as my remembering by myself which does not happen. thanks, Frank

You shouldn't have to enter it to get the reminder, it should (i think) leave a tray running in the background. You don't have to use it as your default mail client, Outlook and outlook express together are fine. Most people seem to use it basically as a calendar/to do list, and it's quite flexible about setting reminders.

You should test it first, just to check, because I might be wrong....

americamba

ok i set up a calendar, now how do I get it to give me a warning or is that too much to ask? maybe I should get an add on program... thanks, Frank

if you make an appointment for the day by double-clicking in the calendar:

when the appointment screen comes up, there should be a reminder option at the bottom with various warning periods before the event - if you set these, everything should work. It's a pretty good program for keeping track of stuff, really...

Edit: I generally leave it running by minimizing it, right clicking it's icon on the bottom right taskbar and telling it to hide when minimized, it generally runs all the time, so I can't remember if it still alerts properly when closed....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online