1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BitDefender and Microsoft Private Folder conflict? Please help.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Denyse, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Hi all. I am very hopeful that someone can help me with this problem as I have been searching the internet for the last month to try to find the answer or solution but have been unable to. Some time back I installed the trial version of BitDefender Total Security 2009. I had previously installed Microsoft Private Folder as I wanted to password protect many legal documents and police statements and evidential photos (I was the good guy btw... :)) These files were very important and not for the young eyes of my children. I have since learned that Microsoft have withdrawn the program, however, I didn't have a problem with the Private Folder as such.

Anyway, using the trial of BitDefender, I ran a scan of my computer and apparently given that this folder was password protected, BitDefender assumed it was a rootkit and renamed the folder and every file contained in it with the extension *.bd.ren . This rendered the files inaccessible. After much searching, the only solution I found was to simply rename the files and folder, removing the extension. I did this and whilst the files reverted back to their original extension, none of them are able to be opened.

I have contacted BitDefender support about 4 times by email but have never received a reply to my enquiry as to how I may recover these files.

I have moved all files out of the private folder to no avail. The files involved are .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpg, and the odd .3gp When I attempt to open a .doc or .docx file I get the 'file conversion' box asking me to select the type of encoding that makes it readable. Unfortunately none do. The PDF files give me the error message that they can't open because they are not a valid PDF file and the jpg files say the source data format is not recognised. All of the files seem to be their original size, or close to it. I have approximately 300 files affected.

ANYONE with ANY IDEAS, please, please help me out here as, ironically, these were the files that I could least afford to lose.

I have XP Home, Office 2007, Nitro PDF and ACD See installed for viewing the files I have spoken about. I'm sorry if I have not included enough information about my system as I am not very savvy in that regard but am happy to include more information should it be necessary.

PLEASE someone, if you can help, I would be eternally grateful - REALLY.

Much thanks in advance and regards,
    Denise

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

When this happened, did they go into the bit defender "vault" by any chance? If so, i would put everything back into its original condition in the quarintine folder and then restoring them through the trend micro program. Side note, this is the reason you should back these files up ;)

3. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Thank-you for replying to me so quickly. No, they didn't go into the vault - they just had the file extension of .bd.ren added to each file and folder. OOHHH - rubbing salt into the wound - I know I should have backed up - famous last words!

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks again and look forward to hearing back with any ideas or hopefully, solutions.

Best Regards,
    Denise

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well i did a quick google for recovering corrupt pdf files and this guide might be worth a shot; http://www.downloadatoz.com/howto/200711/recover-damaged-corrupt-pdf-files/ . In terms of the .doc file i have a simple trick to get the raw text however, you need to re apply any formatting to the text (paragraph indentations, font changes, size changes, etc). However, for the 07 files, you may have to buy one of the many shareware hits i get on google. they probably will even recover the 03 files so i would say if you shell out the cash for it, use it for both 03 and 07 docs. As for jpeg, i really dont know much in that dept.
    Also, as a side note with the files that you pulled out of the file lock i would go to its folder, then go to tools>folder options> view then uncheck the box that says hide extensions for known file types and make sure the file types match up there. Might be a problem as simple as that.

5. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Hi again, whilst I am not having much luck, please allow me to thank you for trying to help me.

So far: I have downloaded Advanced PDF Repair, and previously Recovery for PDF. The program works through until 100% and then reports that it failed to repair the files.

I have also previously downloaded Recovery for Word and another recovery program for word but again, no luck in repairing the files whether they be 03 or 07 word docs.

I did as you suggested in relation to un-hiding the file extensions and all are as they should be.

So, thus far, I'm at a stale mate. I wouldn't mind one bit having to reformat the documents, so long as I could retrieve the text. Any other suggestions? Please :)

Thanks again,
    Denise

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok, like i said my word file trick only works for 03 docs, im at a loss as to why it does not work in 07, but in any case the trick is very simple for the word 2003 files. Right click the file in question and click open with. Choose notepad, make sure it is not checked to open all files of this type with notepad and click ok. Then scroll through the comp jibbersish and tada! There is your text. Just put it into a new word document, set formatting and save. Are there any errors when you try to repair the pdf files other than the failure message?

7. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

I tried what you said with the word docs and whilst the files open in notepad, other than computer talk, there is nothing decipherable at all. There are no other messages with any of the files when I try to repair them (either word of PDF), other than to say that they repair failed. This isn't looking good is it?

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

Waas this done only on the 03 documents? which are .doc, .docx the trick does not work.

9. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

I actually tried your method on both types of files, the 03 .doc files and the 07 .docx files. Neither had any decipherable data. :(

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

Hmm, did you any other type of encryption or security on the files? I ask because this may be why. But i honestly am running out of ideas for you :( .

11. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Hi again,

No, I didn't encrypt the files with any other software. I had just put them into the Private Folder and all were fine until they had the extra extensions added by Bit Defender.

Hmmmm, not looking good?

12. new tech guy

new tech guy

Even when you scroll through the jibberish, it can be quite long.

13. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Yep - I've scrolled through the whole lot from start to end - nothing but jibber. Shall I insert one for you to see???

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

If you are comfortable uploading one of the documents, then sure, go ahead. Bear in mind that they are publicly viewable on this forum however.

15. Denyse

Denyse Thread Starter

Sorry for such a delay. I will not bother uploading a file here - I think I have given up. Thanks so much for your help in any case, albeit we never acheived any fix to my problem, I still very much appreciated your help.
    Best Regards,
    Denyse

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice