1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BitDefender - Vista - Internet

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by db1101, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

A couple of days ago I downloaded BitDefender on to my Vista HP pc. Initially, it went fine. It was only the trial version of it (I wanted to try it out) and nothing appeared to be wrong. However one time, I rebooted my pc and the internet wouldn't work. I didn't relate this to BitDefender in any way at the time.

The internet however did work on all the other computers in my house (connected to the same network). I ran pc in safe mode with networking enabled and the internet did work.

I thought that it must be BitDefender. I was just sure, the internet had been working with BitDefender at first but that was because I hadn't turned of my pc (technically, I had put it to "sleep") so that's probably the reason.

I had not installed any other software in the last few days and I am confident that BitDefender causes the problem.

So I tried uninstalling it and it said windows if preparing the unistall shield or something like that. But unconvinientely my computer froze. So I had to end the task "explorer.exe" But when I went back to "programs and features" BitDefender wasn't there, almost as if it had become uninstalled. I couldn't get it to appear no matter what I did.

So I tried manually removing everything. Firstly, I prevented it from starting up then I deleted the BitDefender folder in programs Files. I then went to the registry and deleted everything with "BitDefender" in it (keys, etc...) apart from these 2:

[​IMG]

As you can see there is "DeviceDesc" and "FreindlyName" I think these are preventing me from getting to the internet but I'm not sure.

I Can't delete these 2 strings, and I don't know why but even in safe mode it says: "unable to delete all specified values" when I delete it.

Can anyone please help with what to do next.
    Thanks.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That whole key refers to the BitDefender firewall:
    SW_BDFNDISFMP:
    SW = SoftWin - The Manufacturer
    BDF = BitDeFender
    NDIS = Network Driver Interface Specification
    F = Firewall
    MP = MiniPort

It looks like the service never got uninstalled, just the Configuration program.
    Might be easier to just re-install BitDefender, then uninstall the software.
    They do have an uninstall tool that might help, you can download it from their website
    http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--How-to-uninstall-BitDefender.html

If you want to do it by hand, from the picture you posted the service name of the service is bdfndisf. To find the Display name that will be shown in the services.msc panel, open a command prompt and type the following:
    sc GetDisplayName bdfndisf

Then go to services (Start | Run type services.msc and press enter) and stop the service. You'll need to change the startup type to disabled as well. With it set to disabled, I wouldn't worry about deleting the keys.

There may be other services or pieces on the system that will still block your connection, and as MysticEyes says you might have to re-install your wireless adapter, so using the tool would be the best option.

HTH

Jerry

4. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

thanks alot guys. I have tried using that tool and this is what I get:

[​IMG]

However, when I go into the registry, it still hasn't removed those values.

On a further note, when browsing the folders near the one I screen-shotted. I found that it lists all your adaptors in folders 0001 then 0002 etc... The BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport" is linked to all of them. Seems like BitDefender must do this to all your adaptors when installing.

So I will have to try the manual way suggested and I will post how it goes.

5. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

When I type what you said in cmd (running as admin), it comes up with:
    [​IMG]

I tried adding mp and mp_desc with no success.

Am I in the wrong section in cmd? "C/Users/Daniel"

6. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

I tried doing a system restore as things were not looking good, and I got BitDefender to appear back in the list of installed programs, and I managed to completely uninstall it. I rebooted it and the internet still won't work.

I have tried re-installing my "Asus USB Wireless Adapter" with no luck. I seriously am stuck here now...

I can't ping my rooter either, I have tried with two networking adapters, "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" and my asus. Neither of them can even detect the presence of a rooter. What should I do?

It's like BD has left an irremovable mark.

Help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So did those registry keys go away as well?

Give this a try:
    From a post by JohnWill
    • TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.
    • Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
    • Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    • Reboot the machine.
    Type just the part in bold into the command prompt (the 3 netsh commands).

Which version of BitDefender did you try out? I can try putting it on a Vista Virtual PC and see if I can manage to kill it's connectivity as well and hopefully track all the changes it makes. Might be a day or two though.

HTH

Jerry

8. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

Yes, the registry keys did go away.

That thing in cmd doesn't seem to work

I tried out BitDefender 2008.

__

You know, I am now not sure that it is BitDefender lol.

I cannot access my router in any way, I cannot ping it or anything.

However, when I go to the attached devices in the router config page on a different PC, it lists my computer as connected, yet my pc doesn't have a clue.

I have tried both my network adaptors and neiter of them can even connect to the router... Yet I know the router works because I am using it right now to type this message (from a different pc of course).

Now, obviously for the wireless connection there is no way that it can't get there because the signal strength is at 4/5. And anyway it can connect it appears it just can't get internet. It find's the network oK though.

Do you think I should post in the networking area of the forums as this is now not an "other software" error?

9. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

Hi, I recently posted this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/697654-bitdefender-vista-internet.html

But I am not sure that what I initially though about BitDefender is right.

For some bizzare reason I cannot get to the internet, as I posted in my last post on that thread:

"You know, I am now not sure that it is BitDefender lol.

I cannot access my router in any way, I cannot ping it or anything.

However, when I go to the attached devices in the router config page on a different PC, it lists my computer as connected, yet my pc doesn't have a clue.

I have tried both my network adaptors and neiter of them can even connect to the router... Yet I know the router works because I am using it right now to type this message (from a different pc of course).

Now, obviously for the wireless connection there is no way that it can't get there because the signal strength is at 4/5. And anyway it can connect it appears it just can't get internet. It find's the network oK though."

One other thing: Under Windows Update there is an update for my networking adaptor. However, I cannot download it because I don't have internet. Is there any other way to get it?

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Do you mean these three commands?:
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    Do you mean the commands didn't make any difference, or you got an error when trying to run one (or all) of them?
    For the last two, after the command finishes, type Notepad reset.log. This will open the log in Notepad so you can see what steps were done or caused an error. Not sure if the commands append to an existing log, or overwrite it, but you may want to change the log file name slightly (resetv4.log and resetv6.log for example) so the 2nd command doesn't overwrite the first log file.

Network problem caused by other software, hard to say if there is a "right" forum. Not sure how many of people who frequent the networking forum look in here so it certainly can't hurt.
    NOTE: Best to use the red triangle and ask a moderator to move the post rather than start a new one
    Lots of people over there that know way more than I do about Vista and wireless.

You can summarize what you've done so far and/or provide a link back to this thread.

Some other questions:
    When you try to ping, do you get Request timed out or Destination host unreachable?
    Can you ping 127.0.0.1?
    Run ipconfig /all and post the results. Right click the command prompt window, click Select All, press enter. This copies everything, even portions that have scrolled off the screen, to the clipboard. Click in the reply window (or a notepad window) and hit CTRL+V to paste. A screenshot won't show all of the output.

HTH

Jerry

11. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LIGHTNING
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS USB Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-2E-CD-5C
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.138(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Windows\system32>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Windows\system32>

They were the results, have I got it configured correctly? I have a static route through my router by the way. I have configured my router to do this and it has worked fine in the past. If I try to do it without having configured windows with a static route then I get no internet still.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I appreciate that you were honest and pointed out that you opened another thread on the same problem. I took a look at that thread and it appears to be a real mess. Hoping a moderator doesn't slap my wrists too hard, I suggest that in that other thread you post a link to here, and then click on the red triangle at the upper right of a post there and ask a moderator to close the thread so that you can work on this one.

If the above happens you will need to post here the relevant information about your adapters, router, OS, etc.

Download needed drivers with another computer and copy them to the problem PC via removable media. For integrated adapters get the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

13. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

An update on the situation. I have disabled my static thing, as I think this could be part of the problem.

When I connect to my network, windows connects to the network fine. But when I then type ipconfig/all, it gives me a bizzare IP adress that has nothing to do with what it should be. When I go into the router config page from a different PC, it has assigned me an Ip of 192.168.0.7 which is fine. However, when on my pc, it doesn't think that that is my Ip adress. So my computer isn't receiving the correct IP.

I can try this with both my network adapters and I get the same result...

14. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've merged the two threads, please do NOT start duplicate threads for the same issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice