1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bitlocker issue..please help!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CopaCopa, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CopaCopa

CopaCopa Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've got issue with my bitlocker...
    it's win 7 ent 32 bit.

i had bluescreen of death and now i'm unable to start windows anymore.

if i choose to start windows normally, it would just restart after the windows splash screen
    if i choose safe mode or any other, it will ask for the bit locker key

the bitlocker txt file that contains the key doesn't have the same recovery id as what it's shown on the screen. So I'm pretty much stuffed here i think.
    Can anyone advise me of the best way to recover my data?

If I have another hdd that i can new fresh win 7 with, then attach the first hdd that i'm trying to recover, if I re apply bitlocker then, will I be able to access my files then?

if this won't work, please advise me a solution. thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. CopaCopa

CopaCopa Thread Starter

Hi Lunarlandle,

Thx but it says that I will be required to have recovery password or key which I don't have. Please help. Thx

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The purpose of BitLocker is the prevent, totally, the exact kind of access you are attempting. Unless you get that installation started, your data is lost. Or you can await the advent of quantum computers which will break encryptions like that in seconds.

5. CopaCopa

CopaCopa Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil

Thx

What installation were you referring to?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Elvandil meant your current Bitlocker protected Windows 7 system installation.

7. CopaCopa

CopaCopa Thread Starter

Ok. So bottom line is that my data is pretty much lost yeah?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, 'fraid so. :(

Unfortunately it seems to always take a loss such as this to make us understand that we must have at least two (three is much better) copies of any data that we deem important. There are just too many things that can go wrong with one copy, and corrupted encryption is one of the more frustrating ones.

I only have about a dozen files that I consider sensitive enough to keep in an encrypted volume. I not only have multiple copies of the encrypted volume but have unencrypted copies of the files kept where they are not likely to be found/stolen by somebody.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice