1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BitLocker To Go - Lost Recovery Key

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jwharmsby, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jwharmsby

Jwharmsby Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    Im new here so apologies if this in the wrong section.
    Basically, massive problem here - I have a WD MyBook External HDD and have used BitLocker to Go on it from Windows 7 RC, and I kept the recovery key in my main HD Documents folder. (This was a x86 install).
    Last night I (stupidly) backed up the key to the External HDD automatically forgetting it would be locked later (as it unlocks on startup so I forget it would be secured elsewhere) and went ahead to clean format my PC to a Windows 7 x64 RTM Install.

Now, when I come to plug in the drive today, instead of prompting for a password as it SHOULD, I instead am askked for the recovery key which I stupidly enclosed in the External HD itself.

Naturally, this External Drive contains my life, several GB of music, all of my college work, images, videos and so forth and I cannot really do with losing it all.

The only other information I can give is that at no point was the HD fully encrypted by BLocker, instead I used to cancel it at each start up and it never passed 3.5% so does this mean not ALL of the data is encrypted and maybe the key I copied into there last night may still be safe (no BL encryption went on after copying it?)

If so, how would I go about possibly finding this? Is there any other way to access the drive without getting the BLocker popup? I already tried a Live boot disk, cmd prompt etc?

Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. pjhutch

pjhutch

Basically you need your recovery password (preferably saved to multiple locations, when you set it up) to unlock the drive. If it wasn't completely encrypted then certain files can be accessed without the need for a key.

Check out htis article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.bitlocker.aspx

If you still cannot get access, then you need to get professional services to recover the data again and will cost you £££s.

4. Jwharmsby

Jwharmsby Thread Starter

Thank you,
    Im basically running 'Recover My Files' on both the External Drive and the formatted main drive to try and hunt out the .txt file with the key inside,

Do you see this to be a sensible idea or some other idea best?

5. pjhutch

pjhutch

Well Its a start. Let me know how you get on.

6. Jwharmsby

Jwharmsby Thread Starter

Posted via Mobile Device

Can anyone please tell me the structure of the recovery key .txt file. I have recovered over a million files and need to filter them down. Does the file solely contain a string like xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx... Or does it have any text like 'Your recovery key is...' for example?

Thank you

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You might have to create a new instance of Bitlocker to go and examine the recovery key file structure to learn what it is you're looking for and be able to filter for it.

8. Jwharmsby

Jwharmsby Thread Starter

Posted via Mobile Device
    Fairnooks, simple suggestion and it worked thanks - set up BitLocker on a second
    drive and looked at the recovery key and luckily it does have some text so
    filtering shouldn't be TOO difficult. I hope.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848825